Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a hard, hard, hard decision to make. Do I lift, and get the round, or do I just leave it in the wood, and see what the numbers say............Now you're at the worst part. The coulda/woulda/shoulda scenarios. All the numbers show you should've run a high 9. But on the other hand, without actually 'doing it', you have to assume. I hate that. Too many times I"ve either broken something, or something stupid has happened, and the numbers to half track are kickass, so the coulda'woulda/shoulda's come into play until the next time.

My motto........(as I"m sure it's thousands of others), Never lift...........

Congratulations anyway, Greg. I"m sure it was a fairly fun day......... Any bad day at the track is much better than any good day at work!!!!!

Next time, by gollie!!!!!

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Damn bracket racing...
How on earth can a feller ever justify spending the time and money on our cars that we do and then have a situaion where we have to decide to let out of the throttle!! By the way, nice run anyway, Greg!

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
That is humerous but I know what you went thru. Lift and hopefully get win light or stay in it and try for that elusive ET. Sometimes having to make that split second decision is a split second too long and you loose out for both(I guess like you did today). I can't say what I would have done because I have a competetive streek which probably would have made me lift before I had to make the decision outright(unconsciously going for the win light for trophy) for a chance at the trophy but only because I enjoy bracket racing even though I fiddle with the tuning between rounds but usually doesn't affect my times much. My car always had perfect traction with slicks so I didn't have the problem of getting a good bite like you did which forced you to decide before the lights. I think you'll get that "9" this spring with little trouble. New ET Streets with fresh soft rubber and you're there. Were you running the exhaust or was that "open headers"? Sounds like a great day to me Greg

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Greg,sounds like a good time anyway. You'll get that 9.99 soon. My whole Morris would probaby fit in the trunk of your car.My motto has been "never lift" and I 've broke out my fair amount of times because of it. Since I've been racing 1/8 mile lately there is no time to lift, the end comes too quick.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On 2002-04-07 20:05, Greg Cook wrote

Don't bust on the brackets too hard. There would be no hobby level racing if it weren't for the bracket system.
I know. You're right. Back when my dad raced in superstock with his Chevelle, he'd win trophy in his class every single week, then get his butt kicked by the mega-buck Max Wedge and Hemi Mopars in the eliminations. At least with brackets he'd have had a fighting chance. I still find myself longing for the "runnin'it out the back door days, though!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Hey Greg, dont be dissapointed...going low 10's / high 9's in a full sized "aircraft carrier" is pretty darn good!
BTW, you said you were going to remove the nitrous from your car...what is the reason? did you have an explosion or something?
Tell ya what, if you did have the NOS on it still, I could see low 9's or high 8's from it! Would'nt that be a blast?
It would get your car close to that "heavy metal Impala" that Nick Scavo ran a few yrs back.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Congrats Greg. You will be in the nines soon enough. I have to agree that my perspective is pretty much the same. A 10.0 would be perfect for me. Not criticizing the safety stuff, but I too am not a serious racer. I really don't want to go any faster for the simple fact that the enjoyment will be gone for me. Still like to be able to pull in to the pump at the Sunoco station and put some high test in it.

Hey don't pitch the juice yet, I may need it for the match race at the Ford Carlisle meet.

Are you going to the FE meet next weekend with your car? That would be cool.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Greg.
I've never run on a pro tree, (cept for my puter drag racing games). Post your bulb times!!!!!!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I know that feeling all too well... i'm trying to get my car into the 9's just once also, it's not legal so i plan to just get that one run then slow it down. It has power enough already but simply won't do it with track conditions, weird problems, weather or anything else thrown at me. I have gone 10.05 several times on runs that weren't too good.

My best is 10.057 and 133.74 and a 1.365 60ft time, it's run 6.373 and 107.96 at the 1/8th so far, all these numbers are bests from different runs. When it hooks it feels like it'll run a 9, but then something always happens.... it's a challenge and makes the goal more rewarding. Hope i can run the car at least a few times this year.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Doesnt the countdown start when the starter hits the switch?

·
Registered
749 Posts
Greg

Do you have a site with all the details and specs of your rides. You know like gear ratios,tire sizes,camshaft specs,induction....etc..etc It would be cool to see the real details of what it takes to make a killer Ford.

Timers dont start till you leave the beams if thats is what you are asking. On a sportsman tree there is .5 between each light. Two types of systems are used on the start to measure reaction time. One from the time the green comes on...this would show a perfect reaction time at .000 ,the other type starts to measure reaction time from when the last yellow goes off....This type shows a perfect reaction time as .500

·
Registered
170 Posts
Greg could you give us a little info about your 66 Fairlane? I see by your signature it runs sub 12's. After driving my 67 514 on a few short trips around the block, and a few blips of the gas it seems like a hell of a lotta motor for the car and I'm thinking maybe I should have used a Galaxie with a frame under it. That or else I have gotten chicken in my old age
I launched it several times with the 427 but it didn't feel anything like this!!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Greg for a minute I thought you were replying to Mike 545!!!
I may be there with or without the car. Still missing the grille and some misc. weatherstripping. I have the old grille that I could put in for the weekend and a days worth of work just to get ready to make a pass. We will see???
If not I have spectated before. Any ideas on how to make my car faster? Other than a BIG HAMMER?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Thanks Greg, my combo is very similar, I'm thinking of ditching the Torqer II and putting the Motorsport on, I'll figure out what to do with the hood later. I have a gold trac with 3.90's and a C6 with 3500 so I'm hoping the 514 will get me a 10. I'm not a racer but I want that 10 like you want the 9. If I could get it on my first run that would be enough for me, just want that slip of paper!! We went for a little drive tonight and after about 4 blocks my son says, gonna get some more tickets aren't ya dad!!!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Greg,

With that kind of power in the Fairlane, might I suggest that you install some sort of subframe connectors, so you dont twist that thing like a pretzel! When the doors get harder to open and close, then you know its already begun!

If you have already addressed this issue, then disregard this....and tell me to shut up!!!

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Chilly hit it on the head. After the prestage / stage lights are lit, the starter then pushes the button. He normally holds it behind his back so there is no advantage. Prolite (.400) is great, as there is no handicap just throttle!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
What greg, dont want to listen to the young punks

I think for the big boys, they started using a computer to make it more random?? Anyone heard of this? Drivers would find the starters rhythem, and be able to anticipate the light.

1964 Comet 289 C4/3000 stall daily driver
TFS TW, Weiand Stealth, Comp XE268, Rhodes lifters, TFS roller rockers, Carter 625 AFB, Hooker SuperComps
"These go to 11." -This is Spinal Tap

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dragman64 on 4/10/02 6:08pm ]</font>

1 - 18 of 18 Posts