Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

Cloyes crank gear symbols?

1K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  Hottarod 
#1 ·
I can't find my install sheet and the Cloyes website is useless. Does anybody have the info that documents what the symbols mean? Theres an O, a triangle or diamond shaped pointer and a block. I guess it would have been too easy to just put 0, +4 and -4 on there. Something that is puzzling to me is that the keyway slots on the crank gear look evenly spaced around the gear. It seems to me that this would be more than 4 degrees plus or minus?

Also if you are advancing the cam timing does this mean retarding the crank to put TDC later? My brain is confused.

#2 ·
Oh man I can see the difference in the keyways. They are just evenly spaced around the gear, DUH(what was I thinking?). One has the keyway slot slightly behind or to the left of the tooth. The other has the keyway slightly ahead of the tooth/mark for alignment with the cam.

I think to advance the cam timing I need the one that puts the crank keyway behind or slightly to the left of the tooth/alignment mark. That puts the cam ahead right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.