Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my cloyes timing set has 3 different keyways on the crank gear for 0, advance or retard, but they are all different shapes, does anyone know what shape refers to what timing position?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just installed a Cloyes Hex-A-Just timing set, and here's what the instructions say:

The square keyway is 4* retarded and uses the Y timing mark on the crank sprocket

The curved bottom keyway is straight up and uses the O timing mark on the crank sprocket

The v-bottom keyway is 4* advanced and uses the * (solid dot) timing mark on the crank sprocket

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info but i still have a question

Currently my crank has the square woodruff key installed that would result in 4 degree retarted cam if I line up Y to dot on cam.

I need to install the cam at 0 (straight up) so do I have to get the woodruff key out to change it for a curved one?

or are you saying that even if I use a square keyway I can just line the cam dot with the 0 mark on the crank?

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
All 3 of those shapes should slide over the regular woodruff key. Because they are still squares with either a curve on the top or a V.

Slide the cam sprocket off and re-position it so the curved keyway slides over the woodruff key.

Then use the O timing mark on the crank sprocket.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 89Trooper on 9/7/06 9:05am ]</font>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts