Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 07 GT 5 spd, and I hear what sounds like excess gear backlash when I shift or accelerate and decelerate-a clunk sound. Is that unusual ? I read on another forum that it is typical in the 05+ mustangs.

Thanks and glad to be here.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
well the driveshaft is 2 pieces on those cars. I wouldn't hesitate to take it in however for a warranty check.

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
the tranny in my 06 is a bit noisy too...not really noticeable unless the radios off/ac off...but it sounds like its got a lot more backlash than even my old F150...but then again, its a lot closer and the carpet/insulation in these amay not dampen a lot of the sound...

funny, Ive had a hard time powershifting into third- the times Ive tried(onramps) about half the time would miss it...went to the track for the first time last Tuesday, 10 runs, barked third on everyone, and it just almost falls into third now...guess it just needed a little abuse to free up that gate to third. 14.02 @ 102.25 was best I could get(accidentally left T/C on- and did better!). couple guys said next time drop the air pressure, and throw a bag of ice on the intake for a while right before running, should dip in around 13.7~13.8 - man was that a lot of fun

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
forgot to mention something- some of the noise youre getting might be gas pedal related...the drive by wire crap can get funny at times- did the recalibration thing on mine and it really helped smooth out the response-
turn the key on, wait for lights to go out, floor it and release, turn the key off, wait a few seconds, done. this is supposed to reteach the controller exactly what the range on the pedal input will be(assume its just a pot, so warm/cool weather might affect it a bit too- just redo it once in a while) and strokes the throttle servo to ends of its travel to recalibrate its feedback also. this wont fix everything dislikeable about the servo/throttle setup, but it really smoothed mine out- worth a try.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Took it in to dealer and he showed me a TSB that stated this is normal. A mechanic even road with me in it. Fine with me. It's a documented problem now. Hey, I read somewhere that the 07 GT M/T comes with 3:31 rear gears--is that true?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Your 2nd to 3rd Shift issues also have something to do with the way the new trans and shifter are designed. the new 3650 is not a Top loader like the T-56 or T5. The back end of the shiter bolts to the car. So when the Engine and Trans Rev one way and the Body Flexs the other you may have a binding, speically with hard launches. In this months issue of MM&FF they talk about it, as the show putting in a t56 trans.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts