Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my trans back together after rebuilding it.....

I haven't drove this car in about 4 yrs, but before I rebuilt this trans I was having this same problem, when I put the car into reverse, or into 1st when I'm at a stop, I get a clunking coming from the trans area. What's causing this? I still have to check my line pressure, but would that be a causing factor? I checked the clerances and everything and they were in spec. I haven't taken the car for a drive yet, as I want to get the clunking fixed before I take it out. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
861 Posts
I'm sorry to say but my crystal ball is in for repairs and I flunked ESP.

What make, year, model of vehicle do you have?
A transmission and engine type would be helpful too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
95 mustang

C4 trans, rollerized, man vb, transbrake

new driveshaft and u-joints
this is going behind a turbo 302..... I had this trans on a 351w nitrous setup and it would make the same noise, this is before the rebuild

·
Registered
659 Posts
When you rebuilt it did you replace the one way clutch setup?
sorta sounds like it might be the source of the clunk.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On 2006-11-25 09:32, forthman wrote:
When you rebuilt it did you replace the one way clutch setup?
sorta sounds like it might be the source of the clunk.
yes, I did replace the one way, I also did the #9 roller from broader performance.....

The more I think about it the more I think it's the rear end...It's the only thing on the car that is the same as my last setup. I don't have excessive backlash but maybe it's because of the locker or something....

guess we'll see!

Thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
I would be surprised if a manual shift valve body didn't clunk when going into gear. You have a tranny that is designed to shift into gear aggressively and that is exactly what it is doing.
I would be that if you put a stock valve body back on it you would have a nice mushy shift that you would barely feel going into gear. It would shorten the life of that transmission to leave the stock valve body in it so you could use it to diagnose the "problem" but don't leave it in.
When I build a 600HP tranny it hits hard enough to "clunk" when you shuttle from reverse to first or from neutral to forward or reverse. If it doesn't hit that hard those clutches are slipping too much and they will burn up under normal use. If you switch to a higher stall speed converter it will lessen the harshness of the shifts but you will need to increase the cooler size to get rid of the heat that the slipping converter will generate.
Paul

1 - 8 of 8 Posts