Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Clutch & Brake Pedal Support Ball Bearing Install

Here is a cool way to fix those worn out brake and clutch pedal supports with two bearings and a couple of shaft collars from a bearing supply house.

Most Fords use two aluminum bushings that are staked into the pedal support with two plastic bushings that the pedal support rod slides through. Through years of use and with no lubrication, the plastic bushing wears out and now you have the pedal support rod moving on the aluminum bushings, wear quickly sets in and you have sloppy pedals.

Here is a pedal support and bushing with severe wear:

I am working on a '65 Mustang, but the procedures will apply to most Fords. I have found that a couple of common 1 3/8" shaft collars that are used to keep gears and pulleys aligned on heavy machinery have the perfect I.D to hold an R10-2RS ball bearing in place. The R10-2RS bearing has a 1 3/8" O.D. and a 5/8" I.D. The clutch pedal on a manual car or the pedal support shaft on an automatic car will slide through the 5/8" I.D. of the bearing. The shaft collars and bearings are available at any decent bearing supply house. I paid $12.00 for everything. (two bearings and two collars):

An added benefit is that the collars have allen head set screws that lock the bearing in place once it is set where you want it, no need to press anything in place, and the bearings can be easily replaced in the future if they need it, though they will probably last forever:

Here would be a good place to note that on a manual transmission car, the clutch pedal has the shaft that supports the brake pedal permanently attached to it, you will need to have the shaft collars machined to 1/2" thick since they are 3/4" thick the way they are. If you do no machine them, you will not be able to get the cotter pin in the hole that retains the shaft. Here is a collar that has been machined to 1/2" thick:

Before we can weld the collars on to the pedal support, the aluminum bushings need to be knocked out with a hammer and chisel, some of the badly worn bushings will probably fall out. You also need a piece of 5/8" all thread to line everything up:

Each bearing is slipped into the collars and the set screws are tightened. The 5/8" all thread is slipped through the pedal support and the collars with the bearings are slipped over each end of the all thread. Everything is centered on the pedal support holes and a nut on each end of the all thread is tightened down. You can now tack weld the collars in place. Once you check everything out and the position is correct, the all thread and bearings can be removed so the collars can be welded. Four 1/2" welds are all that is needed to hold each collar in place:

With the collars welded on the pedal support, the bearings can be replaced easily because of the set screws. Since this is an automatic transmission installation a new pedal support shaft will need to be made. I use a 6" long grade 5, 5/8" bolt for the rod. I slip the shaft through both bearings in order to go to the next step:

A 5/8" washer is slipped over the end of the shaft and a 5/8" shaft collar is slipped over the shaft. This 5/8" shaft collar will hold the support shaft in place. The set screw is tightened on the shaft in order to make a mark on the shaft:

You can see the mark made by the set screw circled with a black Sharpie here:

The support shaft is removed and the center of the mark is center punched for a small spot face with a 3/8" drill. The set screw will tighten in this small hole:

The support shaft now be cut off to the proper length:

....and the shaft collar tightened on the shaft:

The brake pedal can now be installed. The support shaft slides through the brake pedal. A couple of 5/8" flat washers will be needed to center the brake pedal between the pedal support:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nice work, but little hard for DIY w/o lathe. bearing is also a good adition to steering shaft.
For an install with an automatic transmission, no lathe is needed. Facing off the collars for a manual transmission install would be pretty cheap at any machine shop.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
F15, As usual a great write up. Less $$$ than some of the kit available to do this.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
F-15, when I retire can I come work for you. To sit around, think of cool stuff and make it - what a great job.

I actually bought my roller bearing support, works like a champ, but when I saw it - "I could have made that".

Thanks as always. Great write up, great solution.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Nice, and good use of the all thread as a fixture to ensure good and tight fit up at welding.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
I can see a book in the makings and probably a best seller especially among Ford guys.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Re: Clutch & Brake Pedal Support Ball Bearing Install

Nice job. Good idea using the spacers to locate and mount the bearings. I had Mustangsteve do my pedal assm. The bearings are common lawn tractor bearings available at any decent hardware store. His price to do the work was something like $125 including parts and IIRC shipping was included.

I made the upper clutch rod. Bought the two rod ends from Grainger and the 5/8 rod from the local hardware store.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts