Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was really proud of myself when I fabricated a cable set up in my cougar, but I'm ready to throw it all out. Here's how it works. I bought a cable for an '80s mustang, and have it going to the firewall. The stamp in the firewall leaves a hole just a little to big for the collar on the cable, so I got a big washer to make up the difference. That's all fine. I got some cable and clamps from home depot (same diam. as original cable rated at 300+ lbs.) and extended the clutch cable about a foot, because I have a pulley (between 1 1/2 -2" diam.) attached to the steering column bracket bolt under the dash. The cable comes out, goes around the pulley, and attaches to the pedal on the bottom hole (it's about in the middle of the pedal) On the pedal I have one of those U shaped cable loop things so the cable doesn't rub on the pedal and I clamp the cable again to make the loop. The setup works great, has plenty of throw, and I did it for ten bucks. The problem is, twice already the cable gets worn out going around the pulley and eventually snaps. After the first snap, I replaced the cable and sprayed it all with teflon lubricant. Just snapped again today. Lasted almost a month. If I go to a bigger cable I'm not sure it will bend well around the pulley. I'm thinking about buying a real cable conversion kit, but the one's I'm seeing are $300 and up. Does anybody know of one for cheaper? Or would you get a bigger cable? I've been lucky, both times the cable snapped, I was in a parking lot, and was able to just park and fix it there, but I don't want it to happen in traffic. Am I putting more than 300 lbs on the cable with a diaphragm clutch? AAAAGGGGHHHH!!! Sorry for long post, and input would be helpful.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Any chance you could fab up a bellcrank instead of using a pully? Thats what I did on one of my old race cars. I had lot of room under the dash though. Just a thought.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts