Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of putting a T5 behind a 351C in my '68 Mustang. Today, I was about to put the T5 bellhousing on and noticed that I had an 11" clutch, with the bigger flywheel (165-ish teeth, or something like that). I thought those were only for 351W's, but I guess I was wrong. Well, the T5 bellhousing won't even fit over the big flywheel, so I'm going to have to get a new clutch/flywheel before I go any further. I haven't taken the clutch back off yet, but when I do will I find the 50 oz. balancer? Or the 28 oz? Is the balancer matched to the engine, or the flywheel size? Also, since I have to get the 10.5" clutch and the smaller flywheel, will I also have to get the other size balancer to match? Or will mine work, whatever it is?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Could be wrong, not a cleve guy, but I think its a 28oz inbalance flywheel, like early 302s, 289s, 351ws....As long as you get the right imbalance it should be good. Shouldnt have to mess with the balancer(as long as its in good shape)-its matched to engine imbalance as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok great, so that means I'll just need a flywheel and clutch/pplate. any suggestions on where I could get a used flywheel from? a new flywheel is unbelievably expensive (about $300 from what I've seen). i need the 157 tooth one, right?

EDIT: nevermind, there are several on ebay. a late-model 5.0 flywheel will work just fine, right?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jbwitt on 7/5/02 11:03am ]</font>

·
Registered
977 Posts
The 351C is definitely a 28 oz-in balance. The late-model 5.0 is a 50 oz-in. Ford Racing, among others, should offer T5 compatible, 28 oz-in flywheels. I'm not sure if the 351W ever came with the proper size flywheel for your needs, but it was a 28 oz-in balance, too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, so I need a 157-tooth flywheel from an early smallblock with manual transmission? before I tried this conversion, people were telling me that my flywheel would work fine, but that was before they knew I had the bigger diameter one.

EDIT: are aluminum flywheels worth the money? I would guess they only increase the RWHP by 5-6 hp max. just a guess.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jbwitt on 7/5/02 10:32pm ]</font>

·
Registered
7,506 Posts
You'll need a 157 tooth 28oz flywheel for your 351C... (or any other small block using that bellhousing)

The type of 157 tooth, 28oz flywheel will depend upon which clutch is going to be used. (I'm assuming the early 289 157 tooth flywheel is the same diameter as the later unit, so the starter will be in the right place)

The later 157 tooth flywheels used a 'diaphragm' style pressure plate, and used steel dowells to center it, while the early flywheels used a standard 3-finger 'Long' style that used special shanked 'flywheel' bolts to center center it. Yes, there are special flywheel bolts for all earlier (non diaphragm clutch) Ford vehicles.

Conclusion...

If you use the diaphragm clutch, get a later style flywheel with a custom 28oz balance. These should be available from a number of places, including Ford Motorsport. (recommended)

If you find an early 157 tooth flywheel, and it's the correct diameter (someone should know) a standard 10" or 10.5" inch Long style clutch should work. Just make sure you've got the clutch linkage figured out... to make sure it will work with the early pressure plate and throwout bearing. (I'm assuming you're using a cable system)

Good Luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.