Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1994 351w block, stroked out to 408 cubes. I have a 1986-1989 T-5 out of a 5.0 liter mustang, 164 tooth flywheel, 11" hays clutch and long style pressure plate, Mcleod scatter proof steel bellhousing, mechanical linkage setup and so on. My issue is that my throwout bearing is only hitting 2 out of the 3 teeth or fingers on the long style pressure plate, its like the clutch fork isn't long enough or something. The bellhousing only has the holes drilled into one spot for the clutch fork to bolt to and the clutch fork is about 10 1/4", anyone run into this problem or can you tell me which clutch fork I need? The clutch fork that was on the 302 that I pulled from the car was I believe a late 1960's era. Any help would be greatly appreciated because as soon as I figure this out I can put the engine and tranny back in my 65 fastback. Thanks -Blair

·
Registered
948 Posts
it is early, but I think you need the diaphragm style of clutch.
I ran into the problem of which clutch and fork to get when I did the t5 swap.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
try turning the fork piviot around - (on the bell H)

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Do you have any pictures?...The throw out bearing rides on the input shaft on the trans so it should be square to the pressure plate regardless of what is happening with the fork...It should contact the fingers evenly..

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Do you have any pictures?...The throw out bearing rides on the input shaft on the trans so it should be square to the pressure plate regardless of what is happening with the fork...It should contact the fingers evenly..
his problem is from the fork piviot to the release bearing/ disc center line distance. so is does have to do where the fork is . Add: this means one of two things -- fork is to short/long or the piviot on the bell is not in the right location

·
Registered
681 Posts
when i installed my scatershield on my top loader with a centerforce pp I had the same problem not enough through the fork hit the window in the bell housing thuogh the clutch did release i didnt like it so i pulled the trany back out and shimed the pivot about a 1/2" put it back together works great.

Mine looked like this one.
http://mustangtek.com/clutchfork/C8OA-7515-A.html

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
when i installed my scatershield on my top loader with a centerforce pp I had the same problem not enough through the fork hit the window in the bell housing thuogh the clutch did release i didnt like it so i pulled the trany back out and shimed the pivot about a 1/2" put it back together works great.

Mine looked like this one.
C8OA-7515-A
space out the bell piviot solved your problem , his is getting the toss out bearing to center . then he still might have to address the same problem you had . that angle iron looking piviot , most likely needs to be turned around

·
Registered
681 Posts
when the trany is installed it will center the throwout bearing.

·
Registered
681 Posts
on mine the bolts where toward the center and the pivot part of the angle was toward the window in the bell.
hope you get it figured out good luck.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
when the trany is installed it will center the throwout bearing.
Good point, many don't realize that the bearing rides on the very end of the fork so that it can pivot as the fork moves in and out. As mentioned, it's probably that or the fork fulcrum is reversed.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
the release bearing (so called throwout) has spring clips and limits how far it goes down the fork

1 - 12 of 12 Posts