Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is from another Ford board, just trying to help a fellow Torino guy.
He also stated in a prior post, he was getting vibrations, and could not pinpoint the problem.
I wonder if he screwed something up on the clutch install.
Andy
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Car: 68 Torino GT 390 4 speed

Problem: When driving I found it hard to shift then when shifting from 1st to 2nd I pushed in the clutch and it stuck to the floor. No return! When I looked under the car I found the rod that goes from the clutch linkage to the arm on the tranny was missing a nut on the end. I replaced the nut but still have the same issue. My clutch does not return. I can manually lift it up but once I press on it, it sucks right back down to the floor. Also it does not disengage the clutch.

Any advice on what broke:

I have only driven this car one time without something breaking. Its killing me!!

Magilla

·
Registered
118 Posts
What kind of clutch is it? I know that with centerforce clutches you need to remove the heavy spring under the dash as it can cause the clutch pedal to stay on the floor.. When he put in the new clutch was the flywheel turned? Was a new pilot bushing installed?

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
On 2006-07-14 19:20, 67greengt wrote:
What kind of clutch is it? I know that with centerforce clutches you need to remove the heavy spring under the dash as it can cause the clutch pedal to stay on the floor.. When he put in the new clutch was the flywheel turned? Was a new pilot bushing installed?
Yes, not removing the underdash assist spring will cause the pedal to stick to the floor with a DF centerforce clutch. The pedal would be very light and extremely easy to push to the floor. I drove mine like that a few times and had no other ill effects mentioned such as vibrations and being hard to shift. I couldn't live with the sticking pedal and then promptly removed the assist spring.

Sounds like the linkage, fork, or pressure plate is probably hosed.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
The fact that it isn't disengaging the clutch sounds like there may be more to it than too much spring pressure.The only way to tell is have a buddy lay under the car and work the clutch pedal and see what is happening with the linkage...If it's not an adjustment issue I would suspect maybe the wrong release bearing or a bad pressure plate.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: frdnut on 7/18/06 12:24am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, this is a guy on MSN torino club I visit most of the time.
Just trying to help him out.
My car was in a barn 17 years, then apart for the last 4+, I told him stop complaining!
LOL
Thanks, this should help.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just an update from the guy:

For what its worth . . .
The clutch use to work OK. OK not good. It has always had a very short throw. All the way on the floor its disengaged. 1" from the floor its fully engaged. Now when you push the peddle about half way down it sucks its self right to the floor. Also when the peddle goes in or out it makes no difference on the clutch its self. the clutch is engaged all the time, no matter what the position of the peddle is.

Magilla

1 - 6 of 6 Posts