Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Putting a T5Z in my '64 Fairlane and wonder if anyone has any advice or experience in hooking up the clutch? I have all the stock Z-bar pieces, but don't think they are going to do me much good. Modern Driveline has kits for cable conversions - not for Fairlanes, but assume the Falcon kit would probably work. All help appreciated!

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
I have the wilwood kit. Making room to get the master to line up was pretty hard. That is pretty much the hardest part.

The push rod has to be perfect or the slave will fail at some point. Adapting the push rod to a 40 year old clutch pedal and getting everything straight is quite a ordeal if the engine is in the car like mine was. Had I known I would have gone with the cable. If my engine had been out it probably would not have been a big deal.

My stuff came from Dark Horse. They would probalby know if your kit works on both cars.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Have you considered a hydraulic throwout bearing instead of a slave cylinder? McCleod has many.

I am contemplating this same thing. Please let us know what you do and how it works out. (My T-10 is patiently waiting.)

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
maybe i am confused... I think I have a hyd throwout, isnt that what the slave is there to operate?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I spent a fair amount of time under, around and in the Fairlane this week, and I'm now convinced that the stock Z-bar setup can't be modified to "pull" the clutch fork instead of push (without ruining a perfectly good Z bar setup - which will now likely be for sale...). I'm going to go with the cable setup, and I'll post the trials and tribulations as I go. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Terminology issue. The master cylinder is the one that hangs on the firewall. A slave cylinder would be on the transmission. (Master tells the slave what to do.)

·
Registered
125 Posts
On 2006-10-23 20:51, karguy1 wrote:
maybe i am confused... I think I have a hyd throwout, isnt that what the slave is there to operate?
Slave cylinder and hydraulic throwout bearing are different things. Hyd. TO doesn't use a slave cylinder, it's "built into" the bearing itself.

·
Registered
279 Posts
below are some links to some pics of the different types of hydraulic release systems....
this first one is the hydraulic throwout bearing.....
http://www.2mfffabshop.com/simgs/MVC-037S.JPG
then the push type that is for a mustang setup....
http://www.autoworksracing.com/images/clutch_kit2.jpg
then a push type for pretty much everything else...
http://www.5speedtransmissions.com/hydclutchpkgpics.html
the pull types look pretty much like the mustang pulltype, the just pull the fork towards the back....hope this helps you, and now you can choose which setup to use on your car for the most clearance.....
the last one is what i based mine on, because with a bigblock and the headers, everything is TIGHT...also, i forgot to mention, i used a pushtype setup that was way cheap on a ranger i put a 5.0/5 speed in, using an 87 nissan truck slave, and a small piece of angle iron, and it's actually more compact than the pulltype that is in that link.....if i can find a pic of it, i'll post it....

84 gt 460, 4 speed, all kinds of crazy sh!t, 5-lug, 4 wheel discs

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: sevenlitrestang on 10/28/06 11:08pm ]</font>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts