Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Maybe I missed it here somewhere, but what are you guys using for a clutch pedal when converting from auto to T5 trans? This would be for a '64 Sport Coupe. Looking for the easiest/cheapest option. I will be using a hydro master cylinder and slave cylinder, not mechanical.

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
Generally, the simplest option is to use a factory clutch/brake pedal assembly for your year/model as a bolt-in. The next options in order of cost and labor are grafting a pedal to your assembly, modifying one from a different model to fit yours, and fabbing the assembly from scratch.

Note that if you find an original assembly to use, try to get one that has the same brake option you have (power or manual brakes). If not, you can still use the assembly, but it may require moving the brake pin to the proper location for your type, as some models use a higher location (greater leverage) for manual brakes than power. The clutch rod pin is usually the same location for either brake type.

David

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
I think I've seen either on here or on the TFFN that they are the same.

You may be able to just swap the clutch pedal over onto your existing bracket?
I think when I did mine on the 64 Fairlane the bracket was the same, just the pedals were different. Maybe some extra parts for the return spring, which you wont need if you go with a Hydraulic setup.

Which I would suggest that you do, I've got a cable setup in the Fairlane and Hydraulic throwout bearing in the Falcon. I prefer the Hyd. setup.

Jet

·
Registered
158 Posts
I purchased a refurbished clutch/brake combo set of fleebay for $275.00 - which I thought was reasonable ... blasted/new bushings/pedal rubber & powdercoated ... out of Ks. He sells lots of fairlane stuff. That may be a avenue you'd like to travel ... for a direct replacement.

Anyone need a automatic set up??

6T4 Bolt

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
One of the newer issues of Car Craft has a article on modding a Comets pedal setup with a Fox Body Mustang clutch pedal, I didn't read the details yet.

You could go cable actuation, I would recomend using somekind of heat sleave on the cable to prevent melting on the exhaust.

Jet

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I'm going to pull the assembly and then try to match a clutch pedal and shaft from a Mustang/Falcon/Comet - what ever is closest in length and has the right bends. I'm sure I could even fab up a shaft and bushings myself that would work well with a hydro master cylinder. The tight space under the dash is the only limiting factor. I can't get a straight answer on the interchangability of the early clutch arms, but I doubt Ford made very many variations in them. I have been advised by a guy who specializes in refurbishing complete assemblies and sells them for $250 to $275 on e-Bay that the early Fairlane is a unique setup. The mounting bracket does appear different then the Falcons and Mustangs, but I'll wager the pedals are the same.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts