Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1987 F-150 with a stock four speed manual. It came stock with a 10 inch clutch. I was wondering what was required to switch it to a 11 inch clutch. The 10s are getting eaten up rather quickly by my lead foot, and I was hoping to get more than 30,000 miles out of a clutch.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MrBooMY on 4/30/02 10:59am ]</font>

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Moving to top, come one guys, someone has to know about this !!!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Go to your local parts store. Compare the height of the pressure plate fingers, the bolt pattern of the p-plate, and the splines on the disc. If they all match, then I'd say the 11" should fit. Just check for clearance between the p-plate and bellhousing, but it'll probably be fine. I assume you have a 300-6. I think the 302 or 351 came w/a 11" unit.

I just check Advance Auto, there is a listing for an 11" for the 300-6, so it should be a direct bolt in upgrade.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I just changed the tranny in my pickup on the weekend.Its a 86 300 motor and it had an 11 inch diaphragm clutch in it.I'm not positive it came on this motor because I took it out of a old parts truck but I wouldn't rule out the six bangers for a flywheel and related parts.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I changed the clutch last time, I noticed it had another set of bolt holes on the flywheel that were about 2 inches away from the ones the 10 inch clutch went into. And according to Napa the ONLY differece between the two clutches is the weight of the vehical. It said under 8000lbs they recommend the 10, over that they recommend the 11. Now thinking about it, towing that 2400lbs of shingles on top of my normal truck weight goes over that. So do you guys think that I might be able to just bolt the larger one in?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts