Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bring the car to a halt and turn off (in neutral) the engine there is a ringing noise (like a bell or tuning fork) coming from the clutch area behind the engine. When I depress the clutch peddle the ringing stops. Any ideas? Is there any part of the clutch assembly that would keep spinning/vibrating?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Sounds like your throwout bearing might not be totally dis-engaging from the pressure plate. The ringing might be the bearing slowing down and bumping the pressure plate a little, when you push in the clutch it stops it against the pressure plate.

Try loosening the clutch a little bit and see if that helps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would that also contribute to some shuddering (at standing starts) after 30 minutes or so of driving?

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I agree with 1965FALCON sounds like your release bearing if your adjustment seems ok make sure you still have the big long return spring on your clutch linkage.Lots of times these get left off whenever some work gets done on clutch or tranny

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Whoop's missed the part about the shuddering sounds like your pressure plate and clutch may have seen better days.If they've seen lots of miles or abuse I'd replace all three.Also check flywheel for cracks and signs of overheating (blue spots) also check motor mounts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Clutch chatter is usually from a broke motor mount or trans mount, But yes chatter could come from a worn clutch or a throw out bearing that has had all the grease spun out of it.
I just replaced the clutch in my car and it was chattering bad. Found a broke motor mount, trans mount, froze throw out and a disk missing half the pad. Can you say speed shifting!!

·
Registered
660 Posts
You can get chatter if your clutch linkage is too tight. What happens is when the clutch starts to engage your tranny shifts a little bit and it loosens up the clutch - then dis-engages a little and it shifts back and tightens up again etc. etc. can cause a hell of a shudder.

Like mentioned before, if you have a broken mount it would make things even worse because your tranny would start to really move around.

Hope it's something easy!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just had the freaking clutch done 6 months ago. Put about 4000 higway miles on. I geuss I will be going back to the shop. Thanks guys at least I will have some ideas - it better be warranty work!

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Be prepared for a battle to get a new clutch under warranty.They are considered a "wearing" item like brake shoes so how you use them dictates how long they'll last.The shop will usually try to place the blame on you.Just curious if you got the flywheel resurfaced when you had the clutch changed

1 - 11 of 11 Posts