Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nobody seems willing to answer my questions, so lets try this one:

When I went to the local Napa store and asked for clutches, steels and bands for my '77 C4 rebuild, they told me they didn't carry them, and advised I go to a local tranny shop. Is that the usual way they are found? How about speed shops? And what brands or types should I get for a mild (300hp-302) rebuild?

Also, do any of the "burger" parts houses (Sherba's, Auto Zone, etc.) carry decent rebuild (gaskets, seals, etc.)kits?
Thanks, Polkat.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You can try speed shop or local Ford Dealer.
You'll be surprise if the Dealer stock old C4 stuff and they're willing to sell it at bargain price.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Once again, my two pennies,
I checked TCI's home page and they had a list of nationally listed dealers some of which are stocking local dealers. I bought my kit from one of them, but heres the bad parts you never now which brand of goodies comes in your kit. ($150.00)same kit in Jegs and or Summit was a lot more. I like Raybesto's but not all the kits will have Raybesto's, the last kit I bought had B/Warner. I bet if you looked under parts and transmission in you town, that someone there will stock what you need.
There is another clutch componet supplier called Alto and they have a new 6 clutch set-up for the C-4, they might sell racer direct, not sure, I tired to obtain one of these in Jan, and everyone one played dumb.
Good luck, may be Greg has some suggestions two, automatics are qucikly becoming my thing but, I certainly haven't devoted a lot of time to them..

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
If you are just starting out I would suggest a full rebuild kit from Performance Automatic or Hughes. The kits are complete with everything you will need and more. Thrust washers, selective washers and other extra parts.
Bulkparts and such are great if you have done a few and have a bunch of small parts gathered up.
Find the local tranny shop and make friends, very valuable resource for that 1 last little part you need.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses guys. I've done a lot of manuals but, yes, this C4 is my first automatic.

Here's some details and final questions if anyone wants to take a crack at them:

My C4 is from a '77 Granada and I'm going to put it in a '73 F100 w/302 and 9". I got it completely apart last weekend and did not find it too difficult. But I was surprised to find it was very clean inside and the clutches and bands (Borg Warner-except the low/reverse band which seems to be the original Ford band) seemed like new.

The steels have no discoloration at all and no scratches or markings. The disks look fine except that only one has a small (maybe the size of two match heads) section of material missing on the outer edge of one side. The steel it was up against looks great, I'm almost tempted to reuse these parts, but enough people have warned me to just get new ones and do it right.

One problem I did find is that the freeplay (when rocking the drivetrain back and forth with a micrometer on the input shaft) seems just a bit excessive, but I also noticed that nearly all the selective and thrust washers look worn! I'm guessing that is the cause of the freeplay and a new set of stock size selective and thrust washers should set it right. Am I missing something here? Also, I noticed that the No.2 washer is plastic!!! Is that normal? These washers are the only worn parts I could find.

The only mods planned so far is a shift kit (probably TransGo as I'm told B&M sucks). The 302 will never see more then about 350hp, so I'm guessing, from reading the posts here, that the heavier mods on the archive page are not necessary. However, this tranny does have the stock "A" type servo. Should I still switch over to the "H" or "R" type?

Thanks again everyone for your help!!
Polkat

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: polkat on 5/24/03 7:34am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: polkat on 5/24/03 7:35am ]</font>

·
Registered
118 Posts

I guess, my two cents once again.

1. Buy a good book.
2. Read it.
3. Read it again.
4. Use only quality components (this doesn't mean expensive just good quality)
5. Alto is good. (Red Eagle clutches)Kolene steels. The clutches should be installed at 3-5 thousanths per clutch, as operating clearances, using thicker and thinner steels and selective snap rings as need to get the proper clearances of between .015-.025 max.
6. Consider a good quality shift kit.
7. Install a Transmission Cooler, rate for
a high cooling capcity.
8. Install a drain kit.
9. Buy or find a inch pound torque wrench, you will need one.
10. Buy or find a Foot pound torque wrench.
11. A jar of assemble grease, I use Vasoline works great.
12. Use anti-seize on all bolts.
13. Buy a good quality front and rear bands.
14. Servo, will you can use a "H" code but you can get buy will less.
15. Invest in a pressure gauge that reads out to 500 psi, it should have 3-5 feet of hose attached, for trouble shooting.
16. Evaluate your torque convertor needs, maybe a higher stall would work better for your application, many Ford convertors exist, that have various stall speeds. At least have your inspected many transmission shops will help the do it yourselfer cauz they know if things go badly they have a chance at the work. Amaaco will left you use there press even. At least the one here in town has let me do so.
17. Soak your clucthes overnight in atf.

This is kind of check list if you will, I'm sure I left some things out, all ways do, but I think you will get the point. And hay what the hell! were here for you if you need more advice, after all, its free.
Remember read... Ask lots of questions, I still do, and keep a open mind. My life long motto is a day without learning something was new is a day, I spent sleeping!

·
Premium Member
4,330 Posts
That's a nice list of tips there..
If the clutches look as good as you say then there is really no reason to not reuse them,i have done it a few times,but for the cost and piece of mind new clutches might be the go.
Here's one for you though.In some transgo info i have ,they actually suggest using good used clutches .Here's their exact words..

If you are building a trans that is going to be nailed to the wood,the trans ,you and the customer are going to be ahead if you install well seasoned(used)plain tan clutches.Even a little black on them is perfectly ok.For racing a good used clutch,that you have inspected, is worth as much as 4 new ones.

Not sure on the exact reasoning but i just thought i'd throw it out there for comment.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
More great tips! Thanks guys! Yes, I have the Haynes Ford Auto Tranny book. I don't know how it rates among books, but I've had no trouble so far (knock on wood). Perhaps the idea of using good, used clutches is that they have worn down any high spots??

And thanks for the tip on clutch clearance measurements. The only problem I'm having so far is finding the selective thrust washers. I live in a smallish semi-rural town, and the local tranny shop wants to do the work, rather then sell the parts. We do have one Ford dealer nearby, but he has no stock. Guess I'll have to go mail order.

It's amazing how much help the people on this particular forum will offer. I suppose other forums would too, but they don't seem to know jack about automatics! Thanks again, and I'll let you guys know how it goes. Polkat

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hey Guys,

My total now is six cents watch out.

Try this http://www.hughesperformance.com/kits.html

They seem to have the most comprehensive list of parts I have seen on the web. Granted I haven't been searching long but, they appear to have it all.

Bushing kits, Thrust washers, Master rebuild kits, manual valve bodies, pumps, god, everything I'm going to need. Humm, I think I might be using the visa soon. Oh dam hope the wife doesn't see this post, you guys wont tell will ya?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Oh, dam forgot, you might need a helicoil kit, every time I rebuild one I end up putting in at least one, new one usually around the front pump.If you have a used tool store in your area you might find a bargain otherwise stores like Napa carry the proper heli coils in stock.

They run around $30.00 bucks new..

Mac..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts