Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rebuilding this c4 out of a 6 cylinder mustang. Ordered a total rebuild kit that of course had new clutch disc in it . New disc were .078 thickness. Replaced clutches in forward clutch , there were only 3 of them. Clearance afterwards was over .060, had to order thicker steels to bring that down to .035 -.040. The other clutch had no clearance with the .078 clutches. The ones I took out of there were .061 thickness, and three were 4 of them. After ordering new .061 clutches, the clearance was around .025-.030.
Is it common to only have 3 frictions is some clutches? And are my clearances acceptable?

·
Premium Member
4,371 Posts
Hmmm well . Usually the Forward clutches are .061" . The high/reverse are .078"
Someone been in there before you?

The Forward clutches are normally smooth although very occasionally are patterned.
The High/reverse are normally waffle pattern.

Is this what you have ? As Randy said some of the 6 cylinder ones definitely had less.

Clearances depend on the clutch count but what you have will work . As a guide Usually in the Forward clutch keep it down .in the lower specs 025" - .030"
High reverse up around .035-.040" if there is 4 . .025" is a bit tight there , but keeping in mind that clutch is spinning free in first gear so need some clearance there

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks everyone for the reply’s/ advice.
Got it all back together and feel good now about my clutch clearances .
When I went to put the torque converter back in, I noticed the ring gear teeth ground down in 2 places. Now I’m having a difficult time finding a stock replacement converter for this thing. Any ideas, suggestions on finding one ? Thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts