Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I'm swapping cobra big brakes into my 61 econoline pickup,I've finally assembled all the parts but the way the pads fit the rotors does'nt look right as they don't cover the entire machined area of the rotor like all the other brakes I've done...there's approx. 3/4 of an inch of space on top or bottom...that would seem to be a lot of stopping power lost and carve a groove in the rotor...since I don't have old ones to compare it too and the only pic i can find is at autozone where they look the same....but...pics @az?....hmmm....they do seem to fit the cobra calipers correctly.... but is this the way they are?....here's pics of mine and my build....thanks, cliff

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I did this swap onto my '93 TBird...had exactly the same problem and the cause was the way the caliper mounting bracket positioned the caliper on the rotor.

We had to move the caliper until it aligned properly and cleared the wheel! Then modify the bracket slightly to properly hold the caliper.

You might want to check on swapping in different spindles that will more properly align the caliper? This is a necessary step on pre '93 Birds to enable them to accept Cobra brakes.

I found a good fab guy invaluable...Good Luck!

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
I'll bet Steve can help you sort it out, as he deals in all forms of brake upgrades, including GT and Cobra. Mustang or not is irrelevant to your basic issues. Contact him here. HTH

David

1 - 3 of 3 Posts