Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i searched the archives and google couldn't find anything on this. does anyone make a coil over shock (QA1, etc) to use on the stock upper control arm and shock tower on a '65 or do i have to go with a complete system like TCP, RSS, or something else.
thanks,
frank

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Basically, what those companies did was use readily available coilovers, and fabricate their own mounting system for them. The reason being that there is no coilover setup (that I know of), that will mount to a factory Mustang shock tower. I had designed my own mounting system on my old 67 coupe, and it worked well. It did require welding however, as well as aftermarket tubular control arms. It handled great, lightened the front end a bit, and looked pretty cool =). I wouldn't do it to a car I would ever want to return to stock however, as the shock tower is pretty much forever modified. No unbolting and regaining your value =).

Anyhow, hope this helps.

Cris

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks cris.
i'm sure i'm missing something because someone would already have done this.
why couldn't a coilover shock with the right compressed and extended length and correct mounting eye dimensions be mounted using the lower control arm spring perch shaft and the stock upper mount? the spring perch shaft is already carrying the load and the top mount is carrying the shock load.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you replace your stock spring and shock combo with a coilover your going to need to beef-up the upper and lower mounts quite alot! remember the o.e. spring is located by the unibody and the shock is located by a simple bolt on mount.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
On 2006-09-12 03:54, tf66 wrote:
If you replace your stock spring and shock combo with a coilover your going to need to beef-up the upper and lower mounts quite alot! remember the o.e. spring is located by the unibody and the shock is located by a simple bolt on mount.
Exactly. Those 4 bolts would have a hell of a time holding up the whole car! That's why the other systems mount to that ring style assembly. Years ago I was right where you are in what I wanted to do. My dad races circle track, and they used those trick coilovers that are totally adjustable etc lol. What I determined, is that the coilover wasn't a huge benefit anyhow, without the light weight control arms to take advantage of it. Basically all you're doing is making it a smaller diameter spring by mounting it in the stock position...with a tiny bit of adjustability. I would also think that changing ride heights above the upper control arm might have a larget affect on geometry...but never thought that far into it, as it didn't take long to realize that WAY lighter control arms made more sense regardless =).

Hope this helps.

Cris

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Dreher's Modifications and repair 818 368 5904 ask for ****.
These guys have both an early Mustang and a Falcon set up with an Afco shock with a coil over application they created for running Stock Car races. They created a new mounting position on top of the stock style spring perch which allows you to use your existing control arm, and they have a stop that goes in at the top of the tower to hold the spring in place.
I found these guys some time ago in Long beach at the muscle car swap meet. I think it will set you back about 1150.00
Ras Daniel

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Iethiopian on 9/14/06 9:39am ]</font>

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi all,
thought i'd update this topic though i haven't finished the install yet. i'm still doing the engine swap.
i went with an adaptor made by a small company called MPR (Mike 810.798.899
. He was recomended by a guy a QA1 that's using this adaptor for a '65 mustang in a drag racing application. he's pulling the front end off the ground and slamming it back down. if the adaptor can hold up to this i don't think i'm going to have problems with a mild street application. the adaptor itself is a very nice piece of work finished with silver powder coat and grade 8 hardware. i'm using a QA1 shock with non-adustable valving and adjustable spring seats and a 250-350lb. spring but i could have used someone elses spring and shock. the adaptors were $125/pair. i couldn't have made them for that. if i ever get my digital camera working i'll try and post pictures.
thanks again for all the input.
frank

·
Registered
698 Posts
nice topic, posts and thinking frank. which part # coilover are you using? we all know you can spend big bucks to do it. I enjoy doing what you did and find existing parts to make do. why spend a fortune on tcp stuff? I can't believe the stamped oem control arms weigh much more, if any than the a/m tcp units.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
rpm and jeff,
these projects always seem to be 90% research and 10% build. don't know how anyone could do it without groups like this one. by the way i didn't put the smiley at the end of the phone number, guess the moderator did. pm me and i'll give you the number.
once again i haven't installed these parts yet so i don't personaly know how well or even if they'll work. however, the guy at QA1 is using this adaptor on his mustang and says it works great. mike at MPR says he's got 38 of these on the street and no complaints yet.
the shock that was supplied is a QA1 GMP2 and the spring is a QA1 10.5-250/350. all the parts are of high quality and look great especially the adaptor which is a thing of beauty.
my car is a '65 ranchero i use as an occasional home store truck, third car, and something to take to local car shows. that's why i'm using a soft spring and a shock with ajustable spring seats but non-adjustable valving, cheaper too.
of course there is always a "beta" aspect to these things. in my case it's the upper spring seat urethane isolator that's to big to fit the spring. i'm the first person using this kit to try and use an isolator. everyone else is racing and left them off. MPR has offered to send different springs if i decide to use them when i do the install.
again, thanks all,
frank

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 3154tm on 10/17/06 10:40pm ]</font>

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hi all,
i have pictures of these adapters i'd be happy to email to anyone that's interested.
thanks again to all who offered info or advice.
frank

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wm,
guess you didn't notice, that's me (3154tm) in the falcon forum as well. i didn't know how much cross over there was between the two forums so i posted in both since the question applies to both early mustangs and falcons.

·
Registered
698 Posts
easy there coosbaylumber, this is a friendly forum. guess we could get on you for not seeing that the post was started and continued by the same PERSON!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts