Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i searched the archives and google couldn't find anything on this. does anyone make a coil over shock (QA1, etc) to use on the stock upper control arm and shock tower on a '65 or do i have to go with a complete system like TCP, RSS, or something else.
thanks,
frank

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Back about two years ago, someone gave me couple of yellow painted shocks as you mentioned. They had the upper rubbers twisted and never got installed.

They were by Midas with a P#. of P10D7

They no doubt came off some Mustang as the dual bolt top indicates. You thus would have to locate and switch over to the Mustang style upper mount.

Wm.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wm. are these shocks coilovers.

i'm sure i'm missing something because someone would already have done this.
why couldn't a coilover shock with the right compressed and extended length and correct mounting eye dimensions be mounted using the upper control arm spring perch shaft and the stock upper mount? the spring perch shaft is already carrying the load and the top mount is carrying the shock load.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 3154tm on 9/11/06 1:31am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Yes the top mount is carrying the load of the shock, but not the load of the coil spring (shock tower carries that load), so if you trying to use it to support a coil over shock without creating some kind of way to reinforce it, it will break.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
At the bottom on the Midas shock of sort of a bell, like what was used in rear of motorcycles. A ring is welded where the reservoir changes size. The lower end to the spring hits upon this.

At the top, just south of the twin bolt eyes, is yet another cone shaped disc welded on. This has a snap ring also to let the coil spring off/on the assembled shock. The coil spring is sort of oval in section, not round, and overall length there is 9 1/2 inches, about 2 1/8 inch diameter.

The length of the shock is 14 inches from bottom mount (where it attaches to suspension) to center of twin bolt upper mount. Normal 65 Mustang shock if a bit shorter at 13 inches per one I pulled off parts bin. Thus you get a one inch boost right away.

Haven't ever seen these before, which is why I kept them so many years.
Try your Midas dealer for example.

Wm.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wm.
thanks. i'll give them a call tomorrow. of course this would be to easy!
gotyurback,
i agree and thats what i thought until i started looking at some of the aftermarket stuff like total control products, RRS,
ron morris, etc. i wonder how they get away with it. but i haven't heard any horror stories yet. and if these systems work i don't understand why you can't substitute a coil over for the stock set up and skip all the expensive tubular control arm stuff. in fact, i seem to recall an after market system that had the bottom of the coilover attached to the upper control but i can't remember where i saw it.
thanks again,
frank

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Dreher's Modifications and repair 818 368 5904 ask for ****.
These guys have both an early Mustang and a Falcon set up with an Afco shock with a coil over application they created for running Stock Car races. They created a new mounting position on top of the stock style spring perch which allows you to use your existing control arm, and they have a stop that goes in at the top of the tower to hold the spring in place.
I found these guys some time ago in Long beach at the muscle car swap meet. I think it will set you back about 1150.00
Ras Daniel

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi all,
thought i'd update this topic though i haven't finished the install yet. i'm still doing the engine swap.
i went with an adaptor made by a small company called MPR (Mike 810.798.899
. He was recomended by a guy a QA1 that's using this adaptor for a '65 mustang in a drag racing application. he's pulling the front end off the ground and slamming it back down. if the adaptor can hold up to this i don't think i'm going to have problems with a mild street application. the adaptor itself is a very nice piece of work finished with silver powder coat and grade 8 hardware. with this adaptor the top of the spring seats in the stock location. i'm using a QA1 shock with non-adustable valving and adjustable spring seats and a 250-350lb. spring but i could have used someone elses spring and shock. the adaptors were $125/pair. i couldn't have made them for that. if i ever get my digital camera working i'll try and post pictures.
thanks again for all the input. this is a great group.
frank
ps. don't know how that smiley got in there and don't know how to edit it out

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 3154tm on 10/17/06 12:06am ]</font>

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hi all,
i have pictures of these adapters i'd be happy to email to anyone that's interested.
thanks again to all who offered info or advice.
frank

1 - 9 of 9 Posts