Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got done trouble shooting the charging system and got that fixed I think after reading through all the old posts. Now the car was stumbling on acceleration. Just adjusted the mixture and seems to run a lot better. I'm not that carb techy and haven't messed with anything other then idle and mixture.

I did notice that my electric choke (edelbrock 600cfm) is connected to the "I" on the starter solenoid. I've read that it should go to the stator on alt.
I also attached a multimeter to the ground on battery and positive on coil while running and only get 9v and it goes up with revs. I get the same on the "I" on the starter solenoid. Is this enough?

Also my petronix is hooked up to the (RED)pos on coil with another wire running also on the pos running back into the firewall. Black wire from petronix to neg on coil.

I also noticed oil on the coil its been tere for a while but just put it off to the other oil leaks. If its coming from the coil is the coil going bad causing lask of performance? Its an Acell super stock.

Is this the correct hook up? it's been like this for about a year and ran fine until recently. It never reaaly did give that plant you in the seat on a dead start when I punch it. It seems slow until about 30mph then goes like hell.

Also have a edelbrock 351performer intake and hooker headers. no other mods. on a 351w

Any suggestions or help would be great.

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Don't know if it would solve your problems but I wouldn't run an electric choke off the I terminal, that would be powered back through the coil resistor. Untill you were cranking engine.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
If the coil is leaking oil it is going bad. When the oil level gos low the coil will over heat and burn up the windings

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
You are in posession of a car with a BOD charging system.... If your running engine only put's out 9V at an idle you have a bad alt or reg or bad wiring.

Simple as that.

I wish it weren't so... Replace the coil also...

Where your choke get's it's 9-12V is not that important, the choke will also open up when the engine is up to temp. The carb get's warm enough when the engine is fully warmed up to open the choke with just ambient heat.
And 9 to 12 volts is all the choke needs to operate .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe I didn't explain right. I get 13.5v at the battery with car running and only 9v on the pos side of the coil. Should I get the same volts at the positive side of the coil as the battery

1 - 5 of 5 Posts