Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered new coil springs for putting the big block in my 66 Fairlane. When I removed the old ones, they are actually taller than the new ones. The diameter and the number of coils is the same. The company claims they sent the right springs. My question is, could my car have already had the appropriate springs. It wasn't an original big block car. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
334 Posts
What is the coil spacing comparison or the number of full coils. Even though it may be the same coil diameter the spacing may differ.

·
Registered
92 Posts
when i did the research on the coil springs for my 67 w/289. the moog book said same spring for big block no a/c and small block with a/c. there may be other books out there that say different. i looked at the moog book that o'reillys auto parts had.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
when you say diameter do you mean the coil circle like 4 inches in diameter

or do you mean the the diameter of the end of the coil stub?

reason i ask is that new coils are made differently and will be shorter, that what my last 3 coils said in the paperwork, so i got confused about where it would sit.

the stub coil thickness(diameter) will be thicker for higher rates.
and springs are made in a different way thesedays..good luck

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies. The number of coils are the same, but there is less space between each coil on the new ones. The end of the coil diameters are the same. In other words, it appears they are made from the same size stock. At first glance, I thought since the new ones were shorter, they were wrong, but what you have said makes sense. Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts