Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have often heard of the late model guys using 4cyl springs in their 5.0s for drag racing. I was wondering, could I use 65 6cyl springs in my 65 V8 mustang? What im concerned about is if the springs are too weak and can break. I figure the lower coil spring rate will lower the front end a little but thats fine with me. My V8 is actually lightened up with aluminum heads, intake, and water pump, along with headers, light weight starter and T5 trans (but I have the 40lb steel bellhousing which probably eliminates a lot of the weight savings of the T5). i just wouldnt want the coils to break on me. what do you guys think?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'd go with some Moroso "Trick" front coils. If you're doing a lot of drag...
Summit still sells them (p.205), order them based on front-end weight. Ive seen guys with these get the creampuff thing going off the line.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Dave I would not worry about them breaking, I would be more worreid about them bottoming out, which could be real hard on the rest of your front end components.

I also went to aluminum heads, and I also traded my 40lb scatter shield for the factory aluminum late model bellhousing, the front of my car came up almost an inch, it handels better, stops better and faster, and when I punch it it fells like I am being slammed into my seat as the front comes way up, more than I am used to anyway.

Have you done the shelby modification to your control arms? if not that is worth an inch lower and you can keep your springs, I did the modification and used the factory equvilant to the GT coil spring and it came down 2 inches, now the the new heads and minus the scatter shield it is perfect.

Orville

·
Registered
233 Posts
Thought he was asking about weight transfer in drag racing situation...not lowering or handling.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
actually im asking about both. i have the negative wedge kit on my car. i had stock 37 year old springs that i cut about 2/3 coil off and it lowered it too much. i bought new stock rate stock height springs and it raised the car 2-3" which was a shock. i figured use the used 6cyl coils without cutting and it might give me the desired height, plus be great for weight transfer in drag racing. I am focusing more on straight line performace so this is what i want. i was just concerned about the coils being to weak and breaking. so i guess it would be ok to use them, any one disagree?

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Dave I again will say I believe they will work fine, the only potential issue would be bottoming out the suspension due to the light rateing of the spring, but I suppose that may not be a problem unless you are pulling the wheels off of the ground.

I would also suggest front drag shocks if weight transfer is important to you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts