Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
man i have the 2 arm compressor, and the spring just bends, tried so many different positions, cant get it perched, any suggestions? and when taking it off due to wrong postioning, the coil decided to rest on the chassis lip under the a arm, a crowbar should be my hero tomorrow! boing!! no i'm safe!

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
The 2 arm compressors usually work good. When it is almost done compressing, jack the car up on the frame, it will lower the upper control arm so the coil should come out relatively easy. It takes awhile to get used to them,
I just did my parts car, I knew I should of taken pictures.
If you still have problems, I will put the compres. on a spring and take pix for you.

Rick

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks alot, but i have em out, im trying to put the new ones in!, golly what a hard time i'm having! let alone getting the shocks off, see the perches broke and the broken center bushing cylinder part was in the way of the shock bolt, so specail tools were needed to take the shocks out, man i never thought shocks could be so frustrating!

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Yeah, shocks are a pain, if you put a florr jack under the lower control arm and jack up, the arm will raise and LEVEL out the upper arm so you can undo the lower shock mounts with a ratchet and long extension, for the top mount, use a box end wrench and a pair of vise grips (or 1/4 in. wrench) and spin the nut off, usually a few threads and then spin it off by hand. Easier said then done though on old shocks.
I havent broken a spring perch yet, if I do, I will call you and pay your air fair to come over and help,

·
Registered
456 Posts
When I changed my springs on a 67 Mustang, I went to the local easy rent all. They rent all kinds of tools. They had an internal coil spring compressor. It had two arms at the top and two on the bottom. Used an impact to make things easier. Didn't have any problems removing it once it was compressed.

I didn't have any problems with my shocks. I used the impact to remove the top nut on the top of the shock. I had a buddy hold the side of the shock with my hand an a rag. Used a ratchet and my buddy for reassembly. Only cost me like $8 to rent the tool.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts