Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone has their creative build projects and recently this one is mine. Something to make my ride a bit unique while having fun too. I'm not quite sure how this will all work out, but I thought I'd document the build in case others might be interested.

I'm working on a "period custom" with a few modern touches, so I chose the 260/289 air cleaner as a base to start. It's tall and will (I think) accommodate the 4" intake tubes that I plan to run. I'm using 4" cardboard tubes to mock-up the intake and I plan to have K&N cones at the end. I will use 4" aluminum tubes in the final build that will be powder coated along with the air cleaner.

To keep the air flow simple I'm thinking of running them diagonally from the corners. This requires removing one of the horns and moving the battery to the trunk. I went back and forth on the battery move, but in the end I decided to do it. No turning back now. I plan to cut openings in the driver-side radiator support like @segeorge982 did on his intake project so the cones get cold air from the grill.

Next up is finalizing the prototype so that I can get exact measures and order materials for the build.

Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Wood Gas Auto part
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Asphalt
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior

·
Registered
34 Posts
I did this on my truck years ago . I went to pull a part and got two ford snorkels, cut a hole for the air and used the same sheet metal screws that came with the snorkels and used black hose routed on each side of the radiator support

·
Registered
344 Posts
did similar with a 70 falcon/torino i stuffed a 429 in many years ago. took the inner headlights out, had it pull from there. just because.. i was 22. lol. looked cool though. **correction.. outer headlights, just found the pic.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
It's actually a very good spot. The windshield right there gets air from over the hood and will force it to go up or in the cowling vents. The cowling is where the vents get their air from and anyone that has opened a vent inside the car at 60MPH knows how much air is forced into the car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So cool to see the discussions, thanks everyone for sharing.

I made a little progress this weekend while the Galaxie was in the shop getting a new rear end and the shorties put on.

Problem 1: Carb rub - The new Holley 750 and the original 260/289 air cleaners weren't meant to fit together. Specifically, the back of the air cleaner rubs on the carb and won't sit correctly. After thinking about cutting the air cleaner I landed on buying a set of Spectre air cleaner risers. It will be tight but these should raise it enough while still fitting under the stock hood. Fingers crossed.

Problem 2: Air Cleaner Rotation - There's only certain parts of the air cleaner that can accept a 4" intake, and if I fit the air cleaner as originally installed (snout on left) it doesn't work. So, I am going to rotate the air cleaner clockwise so the thickest parts of the air cleaner all face forward. This meant cutting out the metal behind the current snout with my grinder. I'm prototyping with some Spectre 4" mounting plates that will mount from the inside of the air cleaner. I marked the holes and ordered a 4" hole saw to cut them soon.

Problem 3: Mounting Plate contour - Spectre has aluminum and plastic mounting plates and I went with plastic for the prototype. Because the air cleaner is round, the flat mounting plate will not fit when stuck through the intake. My first attempt is trying some relief cuts in the plate so it will flex to fit the air cleaner curve. Not sure how this will work out but seems headed in the right direction.

Once I get a few parts delivered this week and the Galaxie back I'll start fitting things up. I did get the battery moved to the trunk which was a big pre-requisite for providing space for both snouts. More to come...

Automotive tire Water Wood Wall Rim

Light Automotive tire Road surface Motor vehicle Asphalt

Automotive tire Rim Auto part Gas Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Today's cold rain and snow made for a productive garage day!

While in the garage last week for a rear end swap, I got the battery moved to the trunk to create space for the intake and filter. I also got the solenoid moved out of the way (behind the hood hinge) which cleaned things up nicely.

Today I started with kitchen twine to help me visualize the lines. I want a symmetrical look and between the puke tank on the left and the power steering reservoir on the right I think I found a line that just barely works. I took my Dremel and cut two small slits in the radiator support so the string could stay in place.

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

This is a prototype so I'm using the dinged up air cleaner to figure things out. I got it blasted yesterday and today I primed it. To get the air cleaner to fit, I used 1" risers on the carb plus I rotated it clockwise so the thickest sides face forward to accept the 4" intakes. Doing this required me to cut two reliefs in the underside because of the Holly bolts. I little duct tape will work for now but I'll need a little metal work on the final product to make it right. I'll also need to fill in the original snout hole. But success, the air cleaner fits and the hood closes!

Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Liquid Plant Fluid Dishware Automotive tire

Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

Next, I started on some intake support brackets. I realized the horn brackets were handy to tie into, so I crafted some adjustable wood brackets as prototypes. It took me a few tries but what I have seems to be a stable support. I still need to secure the intake to the bracket, but I've got some ideas. For the final build I'll craft metal brackets that connect directly to the radiator support and are a little cleaner, but these work for now.

Tire Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel

Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire

The big task for tomorrow is finishing the driver side support, drilling the holes in the air cleaner, mounting the flanges and connecting the cardboard tubes so I can see how everything fits together. Next week the plan is to order the 4" intakes and connectors then next weekend finish the prototype and go for a test drive.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lots of progress over the last two weeks and yesterday I took the Gal for a test drive. She's running great!

Once I finished the full mock-up the most nerve racking part of the project was to cut two 4" holes at exactly the right spots. My trusty guide string cast the perfect shadow on the air cleaner, so I marked the vertical lines with a Sharpie. I marked the horizontal center, used a Dremel to cut openings in the air cleaner rib, and then cut the 4" holes. With them cut I trimmed down the 4" duct mounting plates, installed them and used duct tape to seal the inside.

Hood Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive lighting
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle

Last week the 18" aluminum tubes arrived and after some careful measurement I cut them both down to fit. I decided to use silicon hose couplers to join the tubes along with worm drive hose clamps. This step wasn't hard it just took time to cut, grind off the aluminum burs, fit and adjust. Rinse and repeat. By the end of the weekend I had everything installed but with poor weather couldn't get a test drive.

Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive design
Land vehicle Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Car
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle

So early this week I tightened everything up and held my breath as I fired her up. I immediately heard a chirping sound which wasn't there before and I knew it was something I did. A little research revealed this was a vacuum leak and I diagnosed it as coming from the base of the air cleaner. I remounted the air cleaner paying close attention to the base and viola, it fixed the problem!

The most nerve racking part of all was when I went to close the hood! I had checked clearance with just the air cleaner, but not with the tubes mounted. Bottom line: It just barely fits, but the hood latches!

On the test drive I can't say I can feel any noticeable performance difference, but so long as I didn't take a step backward I'm good with it. I'm planning to run this prototype for the next month or two just to verify everything is working before starting on the real one. Next on the list is fabricating metal brackets to replace the wooden ones, cutting the vertical grooves in the driver-side radiator support (to match the grooves on the passenger side), finding a local metal fabricator who can create the final air cleaner (using metal instead of duct tape!) and then getting the whole setup powder coated the future accent color (champagne gold).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks @rickyracer1983.

For giggles, I did a little math on the surface area difference between the single 14" x 3" air cleaner and the dual 7" K&N cone filters. The new setup has nearly 80% more surface area, so in addition to being cooler air it should bring in more air. Not sure if I'll need to adjust the Holly 750 given the increased air flow, but we'll see.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Great work! I did this with a custom Volvo turbo setup I did a few years back. I feel your anxiety in cutting those aluminum tubes, making sure they are super smooth inside the cuts and aligning everything. Even with the silicon couplers, you really have to be precise with it.

This looks fantastic, and definitely looking forward to how it runs in the warmer weather and with longer drives, where the heat will start to build up under there.

Reactions: Shrive

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks @segeorge982. To be honest, I don't have gauges for temp and air fuel ratio, so don't know the answer.

I did a little research and maybe investing in a way to gather some data for a side-by-side comparison would be helpful. It looks like a MAF and O2 sensors would provide the right metrics, any others that you could think of?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts