Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1973 429 hi 485 hp. it has a Holley electric fuel pump and a Holley 4150 double pumper 750 cfm carb.
My question is when the vehicle sits for more than a week it is really hard to start but when it does finally it runs and starts good, what could be the problem and how can I fix the problem?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have a 1973 429 hi 485 hp. it has a Holley electric fuel pump and a Holley 4150 double pumper 750 cfm carb.
My question is when the vehicle sits for more than a week it is really hard to start but when it does finally it runs and starts good, what could be the problem and how can I fix the problem?
Some believe that today's fuel is optimized for fuel injection; i.e., lighter/less dense, though I've no data to support that assertion; in any event, it evaporates (i've looked plenty of times to confirm).
Some have installed a parallel electric pump that is flipped on enough to fill the bowl. Depending on confidence in plumbing and electrical wiring etc., it can be easy or a PITA; e.g,. as described in this video.

I've found three spritzes (per direction) of starting fluid work reliably. The directions claim it can be sprayed into the air cleaner assembly 'through the air filter', but I choose to pop the top of the cleaner and aim it down the throat. This product claims to include some upper cylinder lubricant, which appealed to me since I was previously (and with some risk) dropping a dolllop of raw gasoline down the carb.

My two cents.

·
Registered
204 Posts
todays fuel this is comon my blown 545 if it sits a week or even two the float bowls are empty and so is the whole primary ckt i half to power up the pumps (2) wait for the bowls to fill pump it 3-5 times and it will fire right up, my wife 81z mostly stock it has a quadrafunk edle 600 car does the same, so even if you switched it over to electric pumps and that is way better than the mechanical pump you need wait till the bowl fills and it will start better

1 - 4 of 4 Posts