Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do the typical 4speed cyclones have a plate on them with the paint codes and whatnot that actually say "K 4-speed v-8 CYCLONE on them??? I saw this on ebay and wasnt sure if this was genuine or a scam. Seems just to easy and obvious to me, but what do I know???

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: v8shadow on 11/30/06 2:22am ]</font>

·
Registered
81 Posts
Sounds like a scam to me - the Cyclones should have the same data plate riveted to the door as all the other Comets. I think the majority of Cyclones (64-65) were 4 speeds anyway, as far as I know.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
81 Posts
Kind of wierd, but that tag looks like a factory piece. I'm trying to figure out where it's located - can't tell from the pic. The body code of 63E is legit for a two door cyclone, the "T" in the VIN would indicate a New Jersey assembly plant (the car is in New York), and the "A" would make it a 289 4V. I've never seen that tag before, so me calling it a scam may have been premature. I'd like to see if my 65 convertible has it somewhere.

I also see what looks like it could be a Cougar Eliminator in the backround. Love those Eliminators, along with the Comets.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: cjjtulsa on 11/30/06 7:45am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
That's on the fender apron near the shock tower from the placement of the bolt heads. I've seen Mustangs with tags cut like these. They way I understood from the way it is cut out is that sometime in thelife of the vehicle it was in an accident that damaged that part of the fender apron. When replacing the apron, the old vin stamp was cut out and riveted back on the car. If I'm totally wrong someone please chime in. I do agree that it is odd to have all that spelled out on a data plate.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Notice the bolts that are holding the plate on, they are BOLTS not rivets.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have an original tag from my 64 Comet Caliente which looks alot like that one . It is the same shape and I guess size and has similar letters and numbers. It does not specify Caliente on mine but does have pb for power brakes and v-8 stamped on it. I am not sure where it is put on the car because mine was in the glove box when I got the car. The tags I have saw on mustangs were on with screws not rivets . Jim

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: projim64 on 12/1/06 11:23am ]</font>

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have been asking around on anouther site and they seem to think it is real . Jim

·
Registered
681 Posts
those type of tags go under the hood or on many falcons on the front of the radiator support and are usualy held on with bolts like that.
most of my falcons have one bolt in corner.

heres one from a falcon.

68 falcon fact ac
67 falcon next project no motor or trans no rot either

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 68sportcoup on 12/2/06 5:27am ]</font>

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
It's called a buck tag and is usually placed on the core support, fender apron or firewall.

This one on the 65 COMET is unique. I have never seen one like this.

This one shown is more common. It gives build information for the vehicle.

One thing I have learned is that you never say never where it concerns FOMOCO.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm familiar with the buck tags, but have never seen one like that. By the VIN on that tag it looks to be a true Cyclone, but I guess worst case it could be a doctored-up Caliente as they didn't make the Capri until '66.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: cjjtulsa on 12/4/06 10:41pm ]</font>

·
Registered
48 Posts
my cyclone tag does not look like that at all, it might not be real, just my 2 Cents, I look all over mine, no tag like that and mine is a true cyclone

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi, WOW on that tag! I have a 65 Cyclone and have never seen anything like that. I think the guy who said never say never with FOMOCO is right on. Altho at first glance that baby looks anything but genuine! I will be real interested to see this mystery solved!! Tom

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I am having the belief that it was a Dealer done thing trying to make a cyclone out of a regular.... Something to that effect anyhow...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I OWN A 1966 CYCLONE NOTHING LIKE THAT ON MY CAR MIGHT HAVE BEEN SOMETHING SPECIFIC TO THE 65 OR SOMETHING SOMEONE ADDED THEMSELFS. LOOKS KINDA FAKE.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Another way to tell a Cyclone from a Caliente is the Cyclone does not have the stainless trim right below the side glass and the rocker trim is below the quarter panel and rocker joint.I have had my 65 Caliente for 40 years and it never had a tag like that.I have also parted out three other 65's and never seen a tag like that.I have to agree that anything is possible,and not just with Ford products.Another Cyclone difference is the quarter tags,trim panel by the right tailight and the grill,and the dash would be blacked out where the Caliente is wood and argent and the badge by the wind wing would say Cyclone.All 65 Cyclones were 289's standard with buckets where the Caliente standard was 6 with a bench.I don't confess to being an expert but after 40 year ownership I have a fair bit of knowledge on the65 Comet.Roy.

·
Registered
99 Posts
a guy parted a 65 falcon wagon last year that indeed, had one of these tags on the firewall. First one on a falcon I had seen. Had several hundered falcons.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts