Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I posted this in the falcon section and didn't get a single reply, so we'll throw it out here to a wider audience. I'm taking the plunge and doing the t-5 conversion on ol' fx. Anybody that's done this to their falcon/comet, let me know how it went. I'll apparently have to build my own cross member since windsor fox is not making them. Did you have to shorten your driveshaft? Any problems with shifter/ opening interference (mine's a four speed and now has buckets). Any other advice? As always, thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I think I have an article on this swap in one of my ford mags, I will look for it and see if I can help you out some.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Yeah, Mustangs and Fords Magazine had a write-up on the T5 swap into a '64 Ranchero a while back.I think they did major surgery on the crossmember. SlowFord (Paul) has a T5 in his '63 Ranchero ,maybe he'll respond.
I'll be pulling the C4 out of my Morris soon.I'll make ya a good deal on this experienced trans.(Hope you didn't see my "Bad Day at the Races" post)

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On 2002-03-19 18:34, dave65FB wrote:
darkhorseperformance might have a kit, check them out http://www.darkhorseperformance.com. click on ford then transmission swap kits and look near the bottom of the page.
$2100 bucks? Ow, my butt hurts...
I'll contact them and see if they sell pieces, not packages.
I have read this article in Mustangs and Fords front to rear about ten times. From the best I can understand, the crossmember support is an issue for automatic cars only. I'm hoping since mine is already a 4 speed, I won't have to do as much as they had to on the floor. Guys, as usual you've come through for me. Thanks!!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Ya, its pretty pricey, but from what i understand, they sell the parts seperate and ive seen conversion crossmembers on their site for cheaper than most other places.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah ha!! I was so thrown into mental bankruptsy by the package price that I didn't look at the parts stuff. I'll be ordering that puppy asap!!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Did you have to shorten your driveshaft?
No. I did have to change yokes, but the drive shaft length was okay.
Any problems with shifter/ opening interference (mine's a four speed and now has buckets).
Yes. We had to cut the body right where there is a main frame support piece (not sure what the actual name of this is). I am sure the ol' unibody is REALLY weak now. I had heard the swap fit fine in early Mustangs and 64-65 falcons, so didn't think it was going to be an issue in my '63. I wasn't too happy when I saw where the hole had to be cut for the shifter, but we were already at the point of no return.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ouch! I have a friend that has a 62 and he has a Tremec in his!! He said he had to basically cut the whole driveshaft tunnel out and fiberglassed another one back in to make room. My car is so incredibly straight and sound I don't want to do any more cutting than necessary. However, if that's what it takes to put the t5 in, then the sawsall is at the ready!! I am planning subframe connectors anyway. Thanks again for the help!

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
I'm currently just about finished with the T-5 swap into my '61 Falcon. It's a T5-Z prepared by Modern Driveline. The guy who runs the business has modified it in some way to move the shifter forward so cutting the integral body crossmember is not necessary. He also supplies a very trick clutch cable to replace the old style Z bar. I'm not done yet. What I expected to be a "two weekend job" of course is turning into a "four weekend job" just because it's a weird custom application and I'm doing it with home garage-grade tools. But it's doable and I'll be thrilled with the manual shifting and OD. He supplies a crossmember for your application. Very high quality everything to do the job and a fair price. Check out moderndriveline.com Good luck. (I always worry that someone thinks I work for the vendors who I recommend. Not.)

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's interesting. I checked with Modern drivelines and he said he didn't have a tranny support for my car. (falcons and comets are the same). Sounds like he is doing the mid-mount shifter mod for you. This allows better location for bench seat cars and those that originally had column shift (so I'm told). Let us know how it turns out!

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
That's very odd that he didn't have the crossmember for your car. I do believe the Comets and Falcons are the same, and in fact, he sent me a crossmember for a '65 Falcon for my car (I'm making some mods: he told me I would since he had not worked on the early birds yet and didn't have one to fit exactly). I wonder if you got your communications mixed up some how? Anyway, I'll certainly let the board know how it works once it's all done. Good luck.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I talked with a guy that said a S-10 pickup T-5 tailhousing can be used to move the shifter foward. Anybody heard of this??

·
Registered
809 Posts
Update, just looked at a S-10 T5, (neighbor is doin a clutch on one). The shifter is located at the front of the tail housing, at least 6-7 inches farther foward than the Ford trannys.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts