Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The cam will go on my daily driver, who has used these cams and what are your thoughts? I don't mind a rough idle, but I need vacuum. Anyone have a simliar setup and have some timeslips?

cam will go with:
ported GT40 irons, rr
weiand stealth intake
4150 holley
non-roller

258: .509/.512
274: .519/.523
284: .541/.544

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Comp Cams suggested a 262 grind .493/.500, said that if I went to the bigger 258 I'd get surges at cruising speed.

That cam sounds awfully small, anyone else running a bigger cam than that in a daily driver?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Do you mean 268??

Which line of cams are these??

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, jegs has it mislabeled in their online catalog as a 258, it's suppoesed to be a 268.

These are all the Xtreme Energy series cams.

I was just looking, and the cam they recommended for my setup is basically the same size as the one I already have in the car. I want something that I can go to 5800-6000 with and still make power and still drive every day.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have a 69-302 with the extreme energy 262 comp grind...this was their recommendation. Also have Performer intake, Edlebrock 600cfm, long tube headers, Pertronics, stock stall converter, c4 with a kit, 3:55 gears.

I'm basically happy with the overall combination. Might want to move up after I replace the heads and add a 2400 stall.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
69 302/351c,
Have you run your mustang at the track? Any guess on HP or other numbers?
thanks

I'm leaning toward the xe268

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I'm using the 268 with all of the junk listed below. Havent had it to the track yet. The Rhodes lifters let you run a little bigger cam, so you still have low end power. Its fun to drive on the street, sounds cool too
It pulls about 13in of vacuum at idle. I would go with this setup.

Just remember when compairing cams, adv deration doesnt mean much. Look at www.wighat.com/fcr3/ for a bunch of info on cams.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Oh, and why would you get surges at crusing speed?? That seems odd...cause I dont.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
walt, thanks for the link, that site will take a while to digest, but very useful info.

I had never heard of Rhoads lifters before, that sounds like the way to go. When you use those lifters, do you check piston to valve clearance differently because of the reduced duration, or do you have to KNOW that at the higher rpms and extended duration that there is ample clearance?

Should I even worry about clearance with my setup and the 268 cam? I have a stock compression ratio and stock 64cc E7 heads, the GT40's are off a lightning so they're also 64cc.

thanks

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Whenever you check p/v clearence, use a solid lifter. I just welded one of my old hydralic up lifters so it is solid. You should always check p/v clearence.

The Rhodes lifters are kinda noisy, but I really like the sound. Kinda like soild lifters.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts