Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone try comp cam 286R roller cam. How did it,s idle, what stall beings use, power and any more information thank you

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
That is a very very mild roller. The 300AR is a mild solid roller for 3000-6500 RPMs but the lobes are not aggressive whereas the 286R is a lower RPM cam but will make more power in that rpm range compared to the same duration roller that doesn't have the xtreem energy lobes. You will have about a 6000RPM peak with that cam and an almost non-existent lope at idle. Super mild and nearly stock sounding but will pound the pavement with a lot of torque and decent HP. It will work with a stock converter but 2000-2500 is recomended.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I ran the FE version the 288R in my 428 and was quite happy with it. Would pull hard to over 6000 and will work with a tight converter though 2-2500 sounds too tight.
It is [email protected] so it is not that mild. Nice sounding rough idle in my engine. Wide LSA since it is a street cam and uses a relatively light spring. 150 on the seat in my case.
My cars went into the 10's with it and it is easily drivable on the street. A few FE cobra's using that cam.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
But the 288R in a 466 is a small cam. 288 advertised duration is short and the 244 at .050" only tells you that the lobe is fairly aggressive for the seat to seat duration the lobe has. Normal cams have 230-235 duration at .050" with that 288 seat duration but seat duration determines idle quality and powerband while the .050" numbers shows the area under the lift curve and power within the powerband of the seat duration. Until recently, the .050" numbers were a good guage of what RPM and idle quality would be like on a cam because most cams were about the same as far a aggressiveness of lobes were concerned but now there are much more aggressive lobes with more dur at .050" but less rated duration on the seat. That changes things a lot and seat duration is a more accurate measure of cam performance when dealing with modern grinds. That 288 would work very good with a 2500 stall and have a mild idle in the 460. The wide 110 seperation angle also adds to the mild idle and wider powerband. Compression between 9:1-10:1 would be best with that cam.

Mario 428,
10s from an FE, that's impressive! What mods did you do to the heads and what intake did you use(along with other stuff like converter, trans, compression, etc)? Did it hold together well? Reason I ask is I got 2 SCJs and a set of fully ported C8OE-N SCJ heads with bigger 2.15/1.72 valves and a set of new old stock TRW .150" domed .030 over 428 pistons I would love to use but I'm scared of blowing the pieces out the block at 6500RPM and wasting a lot of money plus I don't know the best intake and cam to use for 6500RPM shifts. If I knew of a solid and reliable combo, I would probably build it and put into something nice for the "wow" and "cool" factor while being respectable on the street/track. Any input is greatly appreciated Mario.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
My 428 has a set of lightly ported CJ heads with undercut stem valves. Flowbench is ready and I will have numbers soon.
Motor is 9.5 to 1 using 2245 dished pistons at .040 over. Std 428 rods reworked and the cast crank. Have some bearing issues especially this year but synthetic oil seems to help and I will switch back next year. I use a Blue Thunder dual plane intake with an 800 DP. Have an 850 I cannot get to work.
Cam is a Reed 251/260 .640 lift roller on 110 LSA. Due to valvetrain issues I could not run springs required and had enough valve float over 6200 to limit power so the motor ran at 6100 max. Switching to solid lifter this year probably the 256/266 Comp Cams shaft.
Use a C-4 with a Turbo-Action 5000 stall converter and stock ratios. 4.56 gears last year, 4.86 this year. i run a 14.5x32 MT that is actually 15x34. Aluma-Star wheels.
Best 60 ft 1.48 on a 10.75 pass at 124.
Converter slipping too much going thru at 6000 which is another reason for the 4.86's.
Like I say the only real problems I have had is bearings but never pitched a rod or anything like it. Worst was when I just tore it down but still not sure of the reason. Season before with synthetic oil was as good as I have seen them but not even sure myself why I switched back.
Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
OHHH, that is a sweet and mild 428 for running 10.70s. Was the cast iron shaft stands the reason for not going with heavier springs? What kind of car and weight? I didn't know Blue Thunder made an FE intake. Do you like/prefer it over the Edelbrock F-427 dual plane, 427 sidewinder, or Edel Performer RPM? I know a Victor intake is too much. Do you use 1 7/8" headers(that's what I have for an intermediate '68-'69)? It looks like you had a very good working mild combo that I would love to somewhat duplicate except for the higher compression pistons I have and large valve fully ported SCJ heads. I know I will have to notch the tops of the cylinder walls for valve clearance and unshrouding(2.15/1.72 SI stainless valves) but I can do that no problem. I have stock C6 rods with polished and shotpeened rods, ARP bolts, resized. Adjustable rockers on cast iron stands, and the blocks/cranks/etc. I would love the oiling mods description you offered to e-mail in the other post. I am not knowlegable about FE oiling and can use all the help I can get. Thanks Mario.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Actually the rocker arms & end stands are the limiting factor right now. I use a copy of the Dove 1.0 wide rocker that I made myself. When I tore down they showed signs of distress. None broken but not happy either. I have end stands that wrap around the end rocker to support the shaft, to this point they have been fine but 220 on the seat would find too many limits.
My lifters would need replacement anyway so the next set would be 460 type and by then I would have my Jesel/T&D ctype rockers done and try the big springs again.
I use 2.0 headers, in a Fairmont I have to fabricate so I went to a common size.
I ran a Holley Street Dom before the BT that had been welded and port matched with a 2 inch spacer. Did not see any big gains from the BT and from all accounts the BT is the best of the dual planes for my engine. I tried a Dove single plane which was way too much. I will have a Victor before the season is over, I think it will help, just have to have a selction of spacers for tuning.
The articles are going to be tuff to send to a Hotmail address. I just sent them out and it is 3 meg of pictures. They are in tif format and switched to jpg loses too much rwsolution. Send me an email direct and maybe I can drip feed them one picture at a time.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Stuff does get posted there but in a temp realm and it disappears after a while and unless I have the direct link I can never find it again. Also since I am half owner of my company I get to store as much stuff on the file server as I want.

·
Registered
160 Posts
i talked to comp cam and they suggested a 288R for me i have a stock 67 289 hi-po appose to pull hard from like 2200-6500 or 6k something he said. I am going to try to put it in 3-4 weeks.Whats the difference between the 286 and 288r?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts