Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this cam is right for my setup.Anyone with any info please help steer me in the right direction.It's going in a 66 Mustang 289/Edelbrock RPM intake&600 carb/headers/C4 w/2500 stall/3.55 rear.It will be street driven most of the time.The block has stock pistons which have 9.3:1 comp.with the 66 289 heads.I have a set of ported 351W heads that will go along with the cam swap.How much do the heads need to be shaved to get the proper compression without any alignment problems or piston to valve clearance?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had that cam in my 72 f-100 ,302 4 speed
4.11s my motor was all stock exept rpm edelbrock and 600 holley no clearance problems. ran very good up to 5500 then my stock closed chambered heads gave out. very very loud resonation with 2.5 duals with FloPro's

·
Registered
407 Posts
Call Comp Cams Helpline they will not recommend that cam for your setup. You will be better off with one of the Extreem Energy grinds, and run the static C.R. you have now.Surfacing heads to attain a better cylinder pressure is not the best way to go. Call Comp Cams they will help you. Cam timing events can make your 9-1 motor think it is a 10-1 motor. Its all about cylinder pressure!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm running that cam in a stock block and head 302, the600 carb I was using was running out at about 5200rpm I replaced it with a 700 auto lite and now it winds up to 6800 before the valves start to float, using performer 302 manifold and cast iron ex manifolds in an 84 F-150, w 4sp OD and 355 gears, the carb came off 72 Cougar w 351 Clevor. I like the cam, as it has no vac problems.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
The XE274 Xtreme Energy would be a better choice for your set-up. If the 351W heads are early ('70-'74) they will need about .030 milled off to get the compression back up.Later 351W heads have much larger chambers and smaller valves and aren't really the way to go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts