Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Remember this mustang I got in the shop a while back?

Well.......

I finished it! Piece of stinking rotting ass flesh left today and good damn riddance! :D :D :D

Ignore the rims and wheels, that's NOT my responsibility :)

Starting on This 65 Convertible now.

Gotta be done by Labor Day... :( EEK!

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
from rags to riches....

good job Gary.....:tup:

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Awesome,can I come live with you. Maybe I would get mine done.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Woohoo! Awesome, Gary. :tup: Good work takes time and patience.

David

Oh, yeah - and...

LOL! I only mean that in a supportive way! :D

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
That's just f-ing beautiful Gary, you should be able to do them in your sleep by now.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Not bad for a rookie, as you get better you will learn about aligning the door, hood and trunk gaps...blocking, color sanding and rubbing. Oh yeh lets not forget detailing.

Just pulling your chain Gary, it looks good. Kinda like owning a boat, the two best days are when ya get it and the day it goes to someone else!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
damn!!! :)

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have about 600 more pics of the restoration... Guy paid a total of $22,600 or $27,500 I forget which, and I put probably an extra $18,000 in my own labor into it, then I put another $1200 or $1500 in materials and parts into it to finish it. THAT is why I've been broke these last 12 or so months...

I was NOT about to put out a piece of schitt car because the guy's mother had me sign a piece of paper essentially screwing me out of $10 or $15,000 bucks.. I COULD have just painted it and pushed it outside... But that's NOT who I am.

The damn Aftermarket quarter panels needed about 25 hours each just to fit... then as you may have noticed the curvature of the quarters does NOT fit the deck lid... Of well.

GLAD it's gone, but aside from one door being tweaked, and the deck lid versus quarter panel curvature being a little off, it's likely the nicest 64 1/2 Mustang 4V 4 speed car on the entire west coast. :D (mostly cause I said so..... got nothing to back it up with....)

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
I have been struggling with aftermarket doors and decklid fit issues ever since I bought the pieces. They still are not right. After loosening and re-aligning the deck lid at least 40 times I finally determined that it would never fit right no matter what I did. The curved line at the front of the decklid does not match the curvature of the sail panel.

I finally gave up on it and decided to try the fiberglass spoiler decklid and see if I can make that work better.

I don't know what I'm going to do about the doors. Try and get them as close as possible I suppose and I'm doing these by myself which makes it a bit harder.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Them aftermarket parts are junk. I just put a right quarter on a 71 Nova, marker light hole was punched 1 1/2" farther forward than it should be, lower rear at the bumper the body line is not even close and also 3/4" to long, body line running down the center of the quarter end to end is 1" shallower than needs to be. This is the only one offered for it and no other manufactures. Oh yeh it is just a hair over 20 ga so it is thinner than oem. The customer was not happy he had to pay for the extra hours to make it right but what are ya gonna do.

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've done all of this work by myself hotta, it sucks, but I can't afford to hire help at the rates I charge... :(

And the quarters not having the same curvature as the deck lid pissed me off until I realised that this sunofabitch can kiss my ass, I payed for the last 4 months of this restoration I get some gawddamn sufferance to allow a little joint leeway :)

Whaddya think?

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
You should have had the owner come and work on it.

And you could have at least bought him some nicer wheels for all his trouble.

Nice work Gary.

Jet

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The kid face lives out of state, in the Gulf somewhere Louisiana or some such... Plus I ain't letting NOBODY touch the work that has MY name on it unless they're better at my job than I am....

He bought tires and wheels from some place over the phone but I told his mommy to take the POS and put them on all by their lonesome....

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
OK, so I've been keeping an eye on it across the street, and it finally came out with a fresh set of tires and one replacement wheel. A couple phone pics of it out in the wild...

David

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
X-2, Looks great FE..... what color is that? (just being nosey)

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Prairie Bronze. And those idiots need to learn how to shut doors... :)
Maybe used to shutting the doors on a chebby? (Guessing they are SLAMMING them?)

Thanks for the color info... it really looks great on the car....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts