Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked the compression on my new (for me) '62 Sunliner 352:

150 110
140 145
140 150
150 130

The specs say 180+/-20, so I was thinking it could probably use a rebuild eventually, but the engine seems to run fine otherwise - so I might put some miles on it first.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Should I be more worried about that 110 cylinder?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Those comp test results aren't "alarming" to me, per se. Especially since you mention it runs out fine, and.... I assume, idles nice and smooth, no odd noises, no vibrations, no coolant issues, no 'crop dusting' going on (blow-by, smoke out back), etc.

If it were my car (and I was merely putt-putt driving it on sunny days and Sundays, NO racing), I'd make that call based on:

How much moolah, access to garage, cherry picker, tools, etc, I can afford.

How many miles on engine, i.e.; if over 80-90k for example, she's 'due' anyways, and it helps justify it, hehe.

Was car stored for years w/o running before you bought it? Could be stuck ring(s) for example and/or other sedentary issues. Driving it could help!

Did you give the low cylinders(s) a 2nd test? What oil are you running, btw?

I have a '64 Gal with a 65k miles 390 that runs 'fine', still tho.... I'm chomping at the bit to freshen things up ....but I have a teeny garage, would have to rent a c/picker and my back aches just thinking about all that work, lol. So yea, when I begin 'chomping' I try to settle myself down and say "just drive the dang thing", lol, lol.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was sitting quite a bit before I bought it (I think they only put 1-2000 miles on it since 2009), and the mileage is currently 96k.

It got a good workout recently on a trip from Dallas to Washington DC.

I'm itching to do it - but am leaning towards putting it off for a little bit while I fix a few other things.

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
Be sure you're testing with the ignition coil disconnected, all plugs out, and cranking with the throttle wide open or you'll lose test PSI. With numbers that far out and already driven 1000+ miles recently, I'd do a leak-down test to determine the source of the low compression. Maybe you just need to free a ring, or give the valves and seats a quick dressing on the weekend.

David

·
Registered
408 Posts
In my opinion I would just leave it alone and drive it! My car shows 144K on the clock but she purs like a kitten and dosent blow anything or have any issues. Made a 300 mile trip in Nov when I brought it home with no issues besides the crap carb. The carb is now rebuilt and it runs great! Has plenty or torque for a 144K mile 4K+ pound beast! I would love to put a fresh 3-400hp motor in it but funds are negative right now so the only things I am workin on is a short list of about $1500. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Yup, if it ain't burnin' any oil and runs good just drive the darn thing and don't worry about it. Why do all that work until you need to?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts