Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

Computer ISP Help.

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  thekingofazle 
#1 ·
I am sick of dial up!!!! I want to know if anyone knows of some form of true satellite internet access or anything better than what I have now. (I have MSN dial up) All of the wireless internet service providers that I have inquired with ask me for an address, and then promtly let me know that it is not available in my area, which leads me to believe that they all use phone lines for their service. Let me first say that there is no type of Broadband or DSL internet service in my rural area, and there probably will not be any service for several years to come. There is cable tv, which would let me have access to Roadrunner High Speed Online service, except that the lines are more than 500 feet away from my home, and I am told by the installers that the signal will not reach that far. There is high speed internet on cruise ships at sea, and on islands, but I cannot have access!!! Any ideas?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: F15Falcon on 6/22/06 7:20am ]</font>

See less See more
#2 ·
I believe DIRRECT TV has a satelite subsidary called DIRECTWAY. I looked into it and the cost of equipment and monthly service was pretty high.

Luckily, we got a DSL hub installed close to our rural location so I dumped the dial up and am now running DSL at home.

#4 ·
I believe the DIRRECTV version was both uplink and downlink.
I think that is why the monthly cost is high and the basic equipment purchase is pricey.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think that is what their sales people told me.

JO

#5 ·
You can have two-way boradband, using satellite technology. And yes it is expensive. About $100 a month. plus installation costs.

Peace of mind and being out of the rat race does come at a price. If you are creative, maybe you could work it into your business and claim some or all of it as a deduction or as an educational tool for the kids?

here is one link I found listed.

http://www.high-speed-internet-access-guide.com/satellite/

#7 ·
When I lived in VA I had starband satellite internet . It had a reciever and transmitter also got my TV with it also. This was 5 years ago and at that time it was $900.00 for equipment and installation . It wasn't bad but in a hard rain I'd loose signal. the internet part of my bill was $69.00 a month. The best I could do for internet was dial up at a whooping 14.4k due to old phone lines.. So I had no real choice..
Here in OR I have DSL but been thinking about going to cable ,a friend of mine got it a while back and he gets 3.0mbps I only get 1208.9kbs.
F15 in your situation I'd be looking at satellite.

Take Care
Earl

#8 ·
When I lived in hillbilly sticks Wyoming, I used Sundance Wireless.
My house was located in the middle of nowhere. I didn't have a phone, and cable was not available. The closest cable line was 5 miles away. I think they are a Wyoming company, but if I could get wireless broadband in WY, you ought to be able to get it. Living in Wyoming is like going 10 years back in time. It cost $100 for some slacker to slap a satellite dish on the side of my house and about $45 a month for service.

#9 ·
If you have CABLE TV at your place please tell me why they cannot give Cable Internet services...?!
The IDIOT that told you that the SIGNAL would not reack 500 feet is RETARDED... Cable Internet comes physically through a CABLE. Therefore, if you can get Cable at yopur residence you can get Highspeed Internet!

You apparently don't have cable at your place because it's more than 500" from the exhisting cable, correct?

Go by a spool of cable and run it to a location less than 50 Feet from the nearest Cable TV line and they can hook you up to the cable and you'll get good tv and the best internet connection available.

Call the Cable TV people and ask how close you have to have a connection available to them, (like the pole I suggested...)

FE

#10 ·
On 2006-06-22 08:02, FEandGoingBroke wrote:
If you have CABLE TV at your place please tell me why they cannot give Cable Internet services...?!
The IDIOT that told you that the SIGNAL would not reack 500 feet is RETARDED... Cable Internet comes physically through a CABLE. Therefore, if you can get Cable at yopur residence you can get Highspeed Internet!

You apparently don't have cable at your place because it's more than 500" from the exhisting cable, correct?

Go by a spool of cable and run it to a location less than 50 Feet from the nearest Cable TV line and they can hook you up to the cable and you'll get good tv and the best internet connection available.

Call the Cable TV people and ask how close you have to have a connection available to them, (like the pole I suggested...)

FE
The cable TV people say that the signal will not reach more than 250 ft. To install the booster needed for a longer distance will cost me about $10,000 which I will have to pay in advance. I have talked to everyone I can think of in that operation, and I am told the same thing. The funny part of the whole deal is that there are utility poles less than 50 feet from the back of my house with the cable needed for high speed internet, but they would have to cross an irigation ditch which is in back of my house also, and the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation does not allow anything to cross over its ditches!!

#11 ·
50 feet from your house.
i wonder if there is some type of wireless modem you could mount on the pole that would reach your house.
i would think there is something good luck .

#12 ·
Here's the thing with the cable. Once your reach a certain distance the signal that is put out becomes weaker so that's why you see those black round tube lookn' things inline on the cable lines on the power poles. Those are boosters that keep the signal strenth where it needs to be. But if you have a power 50 feet from your house, I don't see any reason you couldn't have your cable tied in at that pole and put up your own pole to support it in your yard on somewhere near your house. I have satellite internet, and as far as surfing the net and downloading things it's ok. It only downloads at about 800k and the companies advertise it to download at 1.5megs. The upload really sucks because it only uploads at about 300k when its supposed to be about 512k. So if you upload a huge email with pictures it takes a really long time. Also you lose you connection in heavy rain and it slows down when it's cloudy. I'd recommend pushing the cable, but if you absolutely can't get it go with satellite, and I have "WildBlue" satellite serivce, and it's 79 bucks a month.

#13 ·
Buy yourself a wireless access point, put it in a weatherproof box, and get yourself some cable mounted at the pole.

But its true, you can't run cable internet if you're more than 300 feet from a switching station. DSL is a half mile. Signal dropoff, because its on a different band than the television or phone signals, occurs faster on the same wires - they have to be a different band otherwise your cable internet would interfere with your tv, or your DSL with your phone, etc.

Sattelite now is still expensive, at about 60 bucks a month, but it is a two way link - upload is slow as christmas, but download is fast.

We had AT&T wireless broadband a while back, it worked really well, and was the only thing available in the area. But they shut down in our area too because there wasn't enough demand. It worked in all but the heaviest of rain, and had great speeds too. You might check into it and see if they have it. I think it uses microwaves on a tower-based network, they've got to align the little panel with a tower, but it can be pretty far away.

Its a pain to get broadband in far out areas. At my old house, it was less than 20 minutes outside of town, but you couldn't get cable or DSL. You still can't out there.

If you really could connect to the pole behind your house, but they wont let the wires cross, you could go wireless. It'd run you probably 100 bucks to get the hardware for the wireless network, plus cable/dsl installation fee, but you could do it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: thekingofazle on 6/23/06 4:47am ]</font>

#15 ·
Have you checked Pixius? They are here in Kansas and work off a line of sight antenna. You have a small dish mounted on the house and it is pointed toward a repeater mounted on a water tower about 5 miles away.

Not sure how it really works but 2 of my neighbors have this system and they are extremely pleased with its performance.

#16 ·
The points are creativity and persistence, what you were told last year may not be true today.

With the growth of communication options in the USA, there are very few locations that can not be reached by some form of wireless communications ...understand that anything wireless is not as fast as cable/DSL. Current wireless is lucky to provide 10-11 mbps - there is a new standard around 54 mbps that is starting to appear. With wired, anything above 64 kb qualifies at Broadband level, although most regular people are expecting 128 or better (something around 380 - 768kb for Home/SOHO level downlink and 1.5 uplink is where the sweet spot starts).

If smugglers can get across the border, despite the limitations, you should be able to find a high speed solution for home use. Talking to the marketing/telephone sales people seldom is the last word in what is possible. Their job is sell "plans" not provide solutions. As with the cruise ships you mentioned earlier...its just a matter of money making it attractive enough for a carrier to see some profit. They aren't in business as a public service, which goes a long way toward explaining why deep pocket Companies and Corporations can get services that "Joe Average" can't.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Beoweolf on 6/24/06 8:58pm ]</font>

#17 ·
802.11 g is pretty much the standard now. Thats 54mbps About 6 years ago, what you said would be true.

Technically, there is nowhere on the globe that can't be reached by wireless - there is total satellite coverage of the globe, troops take advantage of it all the time. Getting a commercial provider to do it is the problem - they go where the money is, which isn't out in the sticks where theres 20 people per square mile.

It all depends on how much you want to pay. If you called the government, and offered them enough money, you could have the Secretary of Defense serve you tea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.