Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read on here and also read TCI site. It shows 2 charts one for a 11" converter showing 3 1/2 qts for it. The other chart shows C4 - 5 1/2 qts. So for a new trans and new converter will I use 5 1/2 qts total or 9 qts total ?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
659 Posts
dry tranny and converter takes 9 qts.

·
Registered
159 Posts
If I put 9 quarts in mine it would be running out the diptstick tube. while the last quart was getting poured in. I'd be lucky If I can get 7 quarts in there if it were bone dry. Thats with a deep pan too. It all depends on your converter size . i have a 9 1/2 inch converter . Doesnt take much to fill it up.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Ditto

·
Registered
659 Posts
Yes but he gave the amount for his 11" conveter. So is 9 qts for him.

1966 Stang Coupe Org. 6 cyl. 351w,Sealed Power Hypers, ARP bolts,Total Seal rings,Eagle H-beams rods,Balanced,Hedman long tubes, Pro Comp 2.05/1.60 Heads, Shaft roller Rockers, Victor Jr intake, Holley 750 DP, Ed Nix Custom .600/.600 254/258 @.050 Solid Cam, Crane solid roller lifters,Richmond 4.11, Strange mini spool, Modified C4, 3500 stall, ******* Transbrake, B&M Hammer shifter, Shelby lowered, Pro Comp 6Al system. Mickey Thompson 275/50 Et Street Drag radials.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: forthman on 8/14/06 7:23am ]</font>

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
According to Ford, the C4 has two "dry" capacities.
the low capacity is 16 quarts and the high capacity is 18.

Unless you buy a new converter and completely go through your C4 you will never have a "dry" transmission.

The proper way to fill a C4 is to put two quarts of "F" ATF in the converter then install the converter into the transmission. Install the tranny into the car. Add 4 quarts of "F" ATF to the tranny and then start it up. continue to add fluid to the tranny until it stays at half way between add and full on the dipstick - that will usually take about 12 quarts (total eight if you don't count the two quarts you put in the converter). With the car still jacked up (and blocked appropriately) shift it slowly through the gears allowing it to turn the wheels a couple of seconds in each gear. (STOP the wheels with the foot brake before shifting into reverse or from reverse) After shifting through the gears at least twice step on the brake and stop the wheels and put it back in park.
leave it running and check your fluid level again - fill it to half way between the add and full mark again and let it idle for five minutes. Check it again. If it is still half way between add and full then shut it off. get underneath and make sure that everything is bolted up and where it should be - check for leaks; front and rear servos, rear seal, front seal and cooler lines. If everything looks ok then let it down on the ground and drive it on a test run - NOT FAST. Let it shift through the gears automatically a couple of times and then shift it manually a few times being easy on it. put it in drive and again accelerate slowly until it is in high gear and step down quickly on the pedal to get it to downshift. It should easily go into second gear and if you are real quick or hard on the gas it will shift all the way to low gear. Back off the gas and let it go back into high gear. Drive it home and park it on a level surface. Leave it running in Park and recheck the fluid level it should be close to the full mark. If it is more than half a quart low add enough to bring it to about 3/4 of the way from add to full.
Drive it for the first week checking the level each day when you get home (tranny is warm). If the level doesn't change in the first week check it with each fill up of gas. If the level stays consistant then you can check it once a month or each four fillups. After that check it each time you change oil.
If you try to fill the transmission without the engine idling in park you will never get it full and yes, it will run out the over flow at about seven or eight quarts. You need to have the engine running in park when you fill it.
I have seen rebuilt trannys take sixteen quarts with a new converter and a rebuild but there was still fluid in the cooler and lines after we flushed them. I have never had one take eighteen quarts but that is what Ford says the capacity is - I have never filled one that was rebuilt with less than 12 quarts. If you are changing the fluid and filter and never remove the tranny from the car you can fill it with about seven quarts because you can't get all of the oil out of the tranny or converter.
Paul

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
16-18?????????
We are taking about C4s here. There is no way a C4 can take that much even with a deep pan and large converter.

I just filled my C4 the other day. With a deep pan and "dry" 8" converter it took 6 quarts.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Reading a Ford manual it states the capacity of the C4 as

8qts. 27oz.

so a little less then 9qts. with a stock convertor.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have not started it yet. But I have 1qt type F in converter 3 qts in pan and 24 oz (2 bottles) of Pro-Blend Drag Racing Series Auto Trans Treatment suppose to double trans life and cool fluid temps by 57 degrees.

I plan on hooking the rest of the stuff tomorrow and then start it up and let it run a minute then check the level add if needed then run it thru the gears a few times and check it again and again add as needed, Then I will go for a short drive and check it again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts