Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know there are the pre66 motor mounts and the 66-70 motor mounts. ive heard that the post 66 are beter because they lower the motor 1" compared to the pre66. is this totally true? or is it the other way around?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this is where im confused. i have two 65 mustangs, one with each type of motor mount. however, it is hard to tell because the one with the early mount has a stock oil pan and performer intake, whereas the one with the later mounts has a milodon deep sump oil pan and rpm air gap intake. does anyone else know for sure?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
while on the subject of height. the performer rpm i have on one of my 65s is an air gap. how much taller is this than the non air gap rpm intake?

·
Registered
146 Posts
66 and up motor mounts raise the motor more than pre 66 mounts I am not sure how much. The other advantage to the 66 mounts are that pre 65 mounts have no "positive" connection between the motor and the frame if the rubber breaks the motor is free from the frame. I have not tested this theory but have been told by others that the pre65 mounts dont like high powered motors

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
All 64 1/2 and early 65's have the Falcon mounts. Changed in mid 65. I've had 65's both ways. Later mounts raise the engine.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Hey guys, I just removed the old pre 65 motor mounts from my stang and replaced them with the 66 style set up. There was no difference in height that I could measure, I know this because my Cobra oval aircleaner would rub the inside of the hood with the pre 65 mounts, if it was any higher I would have obvious cleareance problems, also it looks to be a much stronger setup, and it was easy, I would suggest this swap to anyone who uses there old pony for drag or road raceing.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
does it still rub? i hear differently here, and that is why i asked, but i have read that the newer ones lower the motor. anyone else?

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I have checked on poly`s and cant find them for 66, and yes if anything the motor stayed put or cam down a smidge. I used a pair of original 66 frame mounts, and drake motor mounts for 66, they are made in the USA and fit perfect. I can understand your concern about hieght, if you dont have clearence issues now you wont have them after the swap, and if the motor is lowered buy this swap that is a good thing, it will keep center of gravity lower. I speak from haveing done this, not from hearsay.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
The air gap is the exact same demensions as the Performer RPM.
Performer RPM 302 Front 4.30", back 5.50"
Performer RPM air gap 302 4.30" front, back 5.50"
Straight from the catalogue.

I run the performer RPM, Demom, Cobra oval air cleaner. No it does not rub anymore.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts