Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1966 Galaxie LTD, 390-4v
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I am new and seeking assistance.

I sold a 65 galaxie about 15 years ago, and have been looking for a 65/66 since.

Have been out of cars for years, so trying to determine a number of things before purchasing again.

I came across a 66ltd, all original with the only rust around the rear window. Not worried about this, as I have a close friend who will repair. Car has not been touched, needs paint, interior repair (but all but seats and carpet are 8/10) and is filthy. Seems to run well. 100k miles.

Vin:
6J67Zxxxxxx

My questions.

1. Not familiar with the LTD but read here that it is a galaxie 500 with upgraded trim? This one has 390 4v carb. Is $1600 a fair price. I am thinking it is a steal?

2. The data code says the axel is "6" and transmission is a "4". The decoder I found does not list 4 as an option for tranny? Anyone know if this is the C4 or something else? May be the site I used is wrong...or maybe an issue with code? Could it be the cruiseomatic (but read here that the cruiseomatic and c4 were the same after 65?

3. If this is the cruiseomatic-- am I asking for trouble? Should I be looking for a c4 car?

Anything else I should consider before purchasing?

Hope to have a car to begin restoration soon....and share the project with the group here. Plan to restore this (or whatever I purchase) to original.

Thank you very much in advance for anything you can do to help.

Great site, lots of great info here...

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
It will be either a Cruisomatic or a C-6, not a C-4. If it shifts okay either one will work fine though for rebuilding the C-6 has a much better parts availability.

1966 was a good Galaxie year. Great looks with the vertical headlights. Plus a big gas tank, wider rear wheel wells and maybe disc brakes and AC?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yes, an LTD is just a Galaxie with fancy trim. Definitely check the frame for rust...especially around the torque boxes. They were notorious for the frames rusting out, but there are plenty of cars out there with good frames. Is it a 2 door or 4 door? $1,600 doesn't sound too bad if the car runs well, paint cleans up and isn't a rust bucket (look carefully..including the floors and trunk)....especially for a 2 door. However, can't make an accurate assessment without seeing the car.

·
Subscriber
749 Posts
the engine & tranny will likely need replacing before long...but that's part of the fun, right?

i've learned that anything you buy has to be completely rebuilt, and now i factor that into the decision-making process.

·
Registered
1966 Galaxie LTD, 390-4v
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, an LTD is just a Galaxie with fancy trim. Definitely check the frame for rust...especially around the torque boxes. They were notorious for the frames rusting out, but there are plenty of cars out there with good frames. Is it a 2 door or 4 door? $1,600 doesn't sound too bad if the car runs well, paint cleans up and isn't a rust bucket (look carefully..including the floors and trunk)....especially for a 2 door. However, can't make an accurate assessment without seeing the car.
thanks. I will check the frame. did not do that. going to see the car on saturday to finalize.

it is a 2 door. all glass is good, all chrome is straight and there, and body is straight.

Think I am going for it. Will post pictures once the deal is done.

·
Registered
1966 Galaxie LTD, 390-4v
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the engine & tranny will likely need replacing before long...but that's part of the fun, right?

i've learned that anything you buy has to be completely rebuilt, and now i factor that into the decision-making process.

I agree...just want to make sure I have a good foundation before sinking my time, money and emotion into...should be a blast.

I plan to post as I restore...and asking a lot of questions.

·
Registered
1966 Galaxie LTD, 390-4v
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It will be either a Cruisomatic or a C-6, not a C-4. If it shifts okay either one will work fine though for rebuilding the C-6 has a much better parts availability.

1966 was a good Galaxie year. Great looks with the vertical headlights. Plus a big gas tank, wider rear wheel wells and maybe disc brakes and AC?

Thanks. Did not consider the C6--is that because of the 390? or an LTD thing?

As another said, anything I get will need to be rebuilt. If neither is a deal breaker, I am going for it...

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1966 Galaxie LTD, 390-4v
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input. Bought the car. Ready to begin my project.

Have a few restoration questions, but will post under new headings.

Will post pictures soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts