Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great article by Chirag and John Dinkel on LCA modifications. 460 Tom and I are doing two sets of ours and ran into a snag. The 1 1/8" OD spec on the tubing needed for the '65-'66 pivot is right, but the spherical bearing listed has a 1.370" OD. I could be wrong, but I'm a-wondering how a bearing with that OD is going to fit into a sleeve with a smaller OD????

From the article, "The bearing sleeve is custom machined for me and there are two different sizes depending on model year. 65-66 control arms use a 1-1/8" OD sleeve while 67-68 is 1-1/2", this also impacts the bearing size (see caption 2)
The tapered roller bearing is from National Precision,
65-66 bearing # MS14102-12
67-up bearing # MS14104-12"

Again, great article, and thanks for it, but what is the correct bearing to fit into a sleeve with 1 1/8" OD?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well, I goofed. My point was to state that Ford used a different size bushing in the early cars than they did in the later cars.

When I tried to use the same sleeve in the 65-66 lower arm that I did in the 67-up lower arm, the sleeve was too big. Both bearings have the same ID but different OD's. The smaller bearing uses a smaller sleeve. You have the right bearing.

http://www.opentrackerracingproducts.com/img/lowerarm-300-2.jpg

Here is a photo of the 65-66 arm with the sleeve and bearing in place. The arm has to be enlarged before the sleeve is welded in place. I am sorry for the mistake.

John

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Opentracker on 8/8/06 10:30pm ]</font>

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey John:
Thanks so much for the response. No big deal, I just bought the wrong tubing, a very small deal. I do salute your willingness to share your information. You have been a great help and I thoroughly appreciate all you have done. We owe you a debt of gratitude.

Paul

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have some tubing that will work. Send me your address and I'll send you some for free.

[email protected]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Opentracker on 8/9/06 7:50am ]</font>

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aw jeez John. Now I feel bad. No need to do all that. You are too kind. Sheesh.

But I did email you my addy. (embarassed)

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
On 2006-08-08 17:33, R Code wrote:
Aw jeez John. Now I feel bad. No need to do all that. You are too kind. Sheesh.

But I did email you my addy. (embarassed)

you should use the money you saved to buy a subscription to FM

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On 2006-08-08 17:54, 67stang wrote:
you should use the money you saved to buy a subscription to FM
I appreciate your opinion, that's what these boards are all about. I figure all the time I put into organizing, editing and rewriting the monster C4 thread (innumerable hours) at a modest hourly fee would calculate out to about a 300 year subscription in value.
Check my posts, I don't post BS and I've never flamed anyone. I'm here to contribute and to learn. Again, I hear what you are saying, and you have every right to do so, but I'm comfortable being a non-sub who carries his weight.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How about a free rewrite FordMuscle? Does that work?

The bearing sleeve is custom machined for me and there are two different sizes depending on model year. Stock 65-66 control arms have holes in them to fit a 1-1/8" OD sleeve while 67-68 holes are 1-1/2". Both of these holes will need to be enlarged to fit the new sleeve. However, the pivot end of the earlier control arms are quite a bit smaller than the later arms so I use two different bearings for the earlier and later arms. Both have .750" inside diameters.
For the earlier arm I use a bearing with a 1.370" outside diameter and for the later arm I use a bearing with a (xxx) outside diameter. The tubing I use has an OD of (xxx).
The tapered roller bearing is from National Precision,
65-66 bearing # MS14102-12
67-up bearing # MS14104-12"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts