Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know about the original factory suspensions setup that has the shocks and springs attached to the upper control arms, but is TCP's coil over setup where the coil over is attached to the lower control arm in anyway better becaues of where its attached?
Thanks,

1968 289 coupe, 65B, my car.
1968 302 coupe, 65A, my dads car.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hitmankb on 7/6/02 4:21am ]</font>

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, does anyone know the stock dimensions of 68 mustang upper and lower control arms? Length, width, Weight, ect. If anyone has any laying around please measure them, it much easier than trying to measure them on the car,
Thanks,

1968 289 coupe, 65B, my car.
1968 302 coupe, 65A, my dads car.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HitmanKB on 7/6/02 4:26am ]</font>

·
Registered
739 Posts
I don't think the advantages have to do with attaching the spring to the lower arm. Rather, I believe the superior materials net a better, more accurate and durable suspension that holds its settings. The stock stampings are OK for what they are, but if you really do a lot of high load cornering, the high quality (and pricey) total control stuff might make sense.
My stock upper control arm cracked around one of the spring saddle bolts and I don't think it is atypical.
I am guessing the reason they went with attaching the coilover to the lower arm was to fit it in there. I think it has a longer installed length than a stock/lowering spring.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm not sure it's any better then the regular
configuration. The tubular control arms are better at keeping the suspension from flexing. The one thing I like about the coil
over is the ride height udjustability. Most
of the fast open track folks are not running
the TCP stuff, I've heard comments, that it
is a challenge to get it setup correctly.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
anyone have any info on the dimensions?
thanks,

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does anyone know proper ball joint angle???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts