Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a '74 302 now, and wish to build a 347 for the street. It will rarely be revved about 4,000, never above 6,000.

Question: can I somehow convert my existing '74 302 block to a "roller block"? And does a "roller block" mean that the block accepts roller cams? Why wouldn't any block accept roller cams? If I need to get a new 5.0 block I will, but I'm trying to keep the cost down as much as possible. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
If you're trying to keep costs down, you'd better stay away from converting an old block. Crane's conversion lifter kit costs above $500, not including the cam. If you're never going to rev above 6K and rarely above 4K, a flat tappet hydraulic cam will work perfectly well for you. You can buy them all day for under $150 for cam and lifters.

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Outstanding information. Thanks. Now I need to wonder whether or not my 302, built 20,000 easy street driven miles ago, needs much machining other than the notching of the skirts for the stroker crank. If could get by without machining too much, this Crane kit might put me ahead $ wise. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Well, be sure to read the new Stroker buildup article on the main page, if you are considering a 302 based stroker.
You'll see that clearancing the cyl. skirts is no big deal, you can do it yourself (save $$)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts