Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just dropping in an update. After running last season with a stock converter/c5 over the winter I got a C4 core and rebuilt it and put in a 3000 stall converter. Just went out for the first time this weekend and with NO other changes went from a best previous time of 9.12 (1/8 mile) to 8.65. Yes a half second change with just a converter and tranny swap. Pretty amazing.

The above is with a stock rebuilt old 79 302 short block with a hydraulic flat tappet 218/224 cam and mild ported D80E heads, perf RPM manifold and 650dp carb.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Yep. A little 302 Mustang had an Art Carr "4000 stall" converter last year, was running 9.0's. Got fed up and bought a Hughes - no other changes except his wallet was $900 lighter - car ran 8.0x first pass on the new converter. Good parts = go fast. Good on ya mate!

1967 Falcon 4 door w/351C
http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod
Owner built, owner abused.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ckelly on 3/4/04 12:03am ]</font>

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just dropping in an update. After running last season with a stock converter/c5 over the winter I got a C4 core and rebuilt it and put in a 3000 stall converter. Just went out for the first time this weekend and with NO other changes went from a best previous time of 9.12 (1/8 mile) to 8.65. Yes a half second change with just a converter and tranny swap. Pretty amazing.

The above is with a stock rebuilt old 79 302 short block with a hydraulic flat tappet 218/224 cam and mild ported D80E heads, perf RPM manifold and 650dp carb.
Is this possible with them heads, carb and cam? Don’t mean to resurrect an old thread but, the compression on those heads are like around 70-1. That’s like a second and half away from pro stock (high sixes I think) times from around the same time (early 2000’s) and they’re compression ratios were like 20-1 I think and using most likely a double quad setup.

I wonder how much the car weighs and what model.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’m sorry for my lack of comprehension in my last post. I didn’t realize it was 1/8 mile times. I didn’t know they were doin 1/8 miles back then. But it’s still pretty good times for 1/8.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts