Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad has a FMX with a Fairbanks converter. It used to stall about 3000 or so, now it doesn't stall at all. The local trans shop took the converter apart and replaced the parts that wear. They said the converter looked good. What else could cause the converter not to stall? I mean you put it in gear and it jumps, rev it and it immediately spins. Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Does the converter still work...or does is it completely dead now?. The way a converter works is a pump (connected to the flexplate) throws fluid at the turbine(conneced to the input shaft). Stall converters work by adjusting the angle of the fins and the distance between the pump and the turbine, it may be that it lost its specific clearance. Toque converters aren't something that you just take apart and fix. Usually if the torque converter goes out, you have to replace it with a new one.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
The one-way clutch/sprag might be bad in the convertor. Did they replace it?

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
If there's nothing wrong with the converter, then the engine is making LESS power. The more power/torque an engine makes, the higher a stall is achieved.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think they replaced the one-way in the converter. The guy my dad talked to was the owners son. When I talked to him, he didn't impress me too much. But I am not a transmission expert. The converter is locked up all the time. When you put it in gear it drags the engine down, just like a stock converter. When you rev it, it doesn't stall at all, it just spins the tires. The engine has been rebuilt and has a lot more power than it did before. It is a 351W. I was looking in an old book and it has a picture of a converter pressure valve. Could that have anything to do with it? Other than the converter the trans seems to operate normally. Thank you for the posts.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
They obviously stole the good performance internals for their own use or resale. I've seen trick race trannies go to people to get "freshened" and when they get them back, they don't perform like before and come to find out all the good stuff has been robbed from them being replaced with stock components. It's always better to send your questionable converters to a well established and reputable race converter company to get checked out or re-stalled if not the original converter manufacturer. HMMM, I'll take out this $800 CNC custom steel stator and replace it with this alum stator I stole out of sombody elses converter and then I'll have the part I need for my own race converter. Thieving cheating bastards

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The converter was not stalling before he took it in. That is why it went in to get looked at. Any other ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
OK, I didn't know it was not stalling before it was taken in with the new engine. It is the engine not making as much torque down low compared to what it use to and that's why it doesn't stall. A stock engine would probably make it stall more which means it needs to make more torque below the converter stall speed to make the converter stall higher. I have seen this before and got good converters cheap because the owners thought the converters were junk since they didn't stall but worked great with me having the rated stall and sometimes more stall than the converter was rated for. Have it loosened up to match the torque curve of the new engine and then it should work right.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts