Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all....

I have had shudder trouble with pre-1998 Crown Vics and at times they would almost shake the dash off when "locking up"!! Warranty will replace the converter with a re-built one, but there is a "magic fix" and so far it has never failed to work!!!

Add one bottle of Ford Friction Modifier (for limited slip rear ends) to the trans fluid and VOILA.....NO MORE SHUDDER!!! A Lincoln tech told me about it in 1994....says it came out in a Ford Bulletin???

My 2000 Crown Vic has never shuddered and it used Mercon V, but it was shifting a little harsh after 120,000 miles (I have serviced it twice during this period)!! I added a bottle of "liquid magic" and it is unbelievable how smooth it shifts now!!

Thought this might be of interest to some of you.

Cobrajack

PS: I tried it once in a T-5 Mustang 5.0 and it really screwed up the syncros.....So don't use it in a manual trans!!

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NOT ON THE ONES I'VE BEEN AROUND!!

It may help for a short time but it comes back.....I think the phenol in the friction modifier removes the glaze on the friction surfaces??

As "snake oils" go it works and beats the price of a converter replacement!!

Cobrajack

·
Registered
809 Posts
Ford recommends changing the fluid, haven't seen one yet it didn't fix. Problem seems to be when the fluid is old, causes the converter clutch to shutter.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Highly agree with changing the fluid. Did it in an 89 T-bird v6 w/120k and it worked like a champ. Also in a 91 cougar v8 w/80K.

The lubricity of the new fluid allows the clutches to slip rather than grab...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts