Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 66 fastback with a 6cyl and C-4. I have a '89 5.0 with E303 cam, edelbrock rpm intake and 600 carb. I was wondering if I can use the existing torque converter temporarily until I can put a T-5 5 speed in it. I have a late model bellhousing and flywheel. I will not be driving it hard until I upgrade the suspension, brakes, rearend and do some other modifications. I just want to get this motor in the car. Any advise is appreciated.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I used a v6 converter in my 393 stroker. It was out of an 82 cougar as i recall. Wokes great as it gives the v8 a bit more stall.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
If the converter bolts up it can be used. Usually the small six and the v-8 use different bolt patterns. The depth might be different too so you might have to use the 5 7/8" deep bell that is used on the 157 tooth flywheel.
Paul

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply.

If the bolt pattern is different, can I get a converter from a V8. Are there differences in the splines on the 6 and V8's?

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
any '64 to '69 converter will work fine - just make sure that you get one with 24 splines at both ends. Torque converters after '69 use 26 spline and a larger diameter shaft. Your shaft is .788" in diameter and the others are .839" diameter.
Be sure to flush the converter that you get unless it is brand new, in the box, sealed. If you don't care about the tranny then just throw an inline filter on the cooler line that goes to the rear fitting on the tranny. It will catch about everything that comes out of the converter that can hurt your tranny.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts