Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK here's one of many questions to come. I've been looking at converters for my newest ride a 1976 Cobra-II C4. T-bolt told me it has a 154 tooth fly wheel (not sure on the number of teeth but it's the small one for the V8-Cobras) What Kind of converter do I need? I see 10 inch 11 inch what gives?

I'll need about 3200 to 4000 stall.

What kind would you recommend and why? B&M TCI?

Thanks..................

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
I'd say the flexplate you have is 157T and has the convertor bolt mount pattern of 10+1/2" across the mount studs.The mounting point is irrelevant to the actual stall or size of the convertor .The mounting points are modified to whatever diam convertor you need.I hope that sounds right.To get the stall you want will possibly be a 10" diam convertor but you'll need to give your engine and driveline specs to a good convertor builder who will set up the convertor to get the stall you want.The brands you mention may get you close to the right stall if you're lucky but if you get one made to your engine specs it should be spot on.

·
Registered
314 Posts
The C-4 used in the Mustang II uses a 9.5" converter from the factory because of the oddball bell housing. It is very small. It had to be specially made to be able to fit a V-8 engine and trans into what was basically a Pinto chassis. The flex plate is very small also. Found only in the Mustang II and is either 143 or 147 teeth I forget exactly.

You can call any name brand converter company and they can help you. My preference is PTC. See me other post on the C-6 thread for my writeup on them.

Later,

David Cole

·
Registered
270 Posts
Well, I'm a mustang II feak, and the flexplate has 147 teeth on it. I think that is correct... If you need to know for sure, LMK I'll go out to the garage and count the spare flexplate I have. I had a TCI converter for my mustang II, it was suppose to stall to 3000 rpm... try about 1800. Before the TCI I had the stock one, that had been gone through by a local transmission shop. That one stalled to about 2500rpm. I was told if I wanted any more I would have to go to an even smaller converter. Also, the bolt pattern is smaller than the standard ford converter pattern....

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
I used a pan fill C-4 in my Pinto wagon too. I originally started out with an original Mustang II bellhousing, flexplate, converter setup but found a 2800 stall converter for 157 tooth flexplate and 10.5" bolt circle so I went and built the pan fill C-4 case and used pump mount 157 tooth bellhousing. I was also afraid of that small tiny bellhousing and flex plate with narrow bolt circle breaking because I was running 11.50s at that time and wanted stronger plus aftermarket converters for the 157 tooth flexplate 10.5" boltcircle are everywhere and easy to get.

V8740, was that you who e-mailed me about my 4500 stall converter on e-bay asking if it would fit your Mustang II?

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
I didn't realize it until I read this thread and seemed to be much like you asked my from e-bay and then I looked at my e-mail and saw your e-mail address. I now have a 4000 stall 11 7/16 bolt circle converter for 164 tooth flexplate on there too. Just put more stuff on there tonight. It would be much easier to find a good converter if you put a 157 tooth flexplate, bellhousing, and block plate on there and then you could choose from the thousands of 10.5" bolt circle aftermarket stall converters out there. I sold my Mustang II converter/flexplate/block plate and bought the 157 tooth setup and bought a good aftermarket stall very cheap and I was then happy. Since you already have the small setup, you won't find a used aftermarket converter for it but you can get a new one and you'll be happy from not having to swap all that stuff and keep the original bellhousing setup.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts