Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to convert my 428 over to a stronger rocker system to handle the new bigger camshaft.

I have looked into this Erson set up a little and just wanted to make sure I was making the right move before I order the Erson set up.

I saw some posts about this topic at Network 54 FE forum that "N2O Mike" directed me to and they seemed to think that the Erson set up was the "hot ticket"?

Is there any parts that I will need to get that the Erson set up does'nt include?

The guys at Network 54 were saying something about the Dove set up not being as good as the Erson and that it needed to use some of the stock parts to make work?

Is this Erson set up the best for the FE?

It's not cheap and I would rather ask you guys before I lay down the money?

So in closing,would you go with the Erson set up?

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is the qoute from N2O Mike, I brought it here so you guys could see the post I was talking about from him.

N20 Mike wrote,
The shaft rocker setup on FE's has a built in flaw. The shafts for the end rockers are only supported on one side, which puts a LOT of stress on the shaft. This was fine for old cams with low lifts and moderate accelerations... but modern grinds lift the valves a LOT further and a LOT faster, and WILL flex and break the shaft. However, there are fixes. End supports are available. The best fix for the money would be the Erson rocker system. It comes with the stands (including end stands), needle bearing roller rockers... everything needed short of the pushrods. It costs around $600 through Summit. There is quite a bit of discussion about them at the following FE forum. I purchased a set for a 427 stroker I'm building for a friend. They are nice.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
I believe the Crane units are supposed to be a little shorter. I remember some people posting this, anyway. They tried the Comps, only to find they were too long, and ended up using Crane.

No personal experience here, just a little 'parrot-ing' (repeating what I've heard)

Might be a point to research... Keep going through the pages of that FE Forum to find more and more info on those cantankerous beasts.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
127 Posts
wait about 6 weeks and make sure you get the new batch, Rob was going to make the end of the end support stand split so that it would clamp on the shaft so that in case of shaft breakage inside the stand the shaft is still clamped in place.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Summit has had them on backorder. Rob just indicated that they just filled all the backorders but one, and they are going to make up 28 new sets right away. All these, and all the new sets will have all the upgrades that have taken place over the duration these have been in production. The newest versions have strong shafts that will stand up to big solid rollers, and in case a shaft would break, it, and any rockers and needle bearings will be contained.

Read back through the previous pages of the FE forum for more details. (Rob is the Erson engineer responsible for developing the FE rocker system. He hangs out on the FE forum listening to input and gives updates on running design changes and production status. He's a great guy who will listen and answer questions honestly.)

Good Luck!

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On 2002-04-03 19:20, chilly460 wrote:
They were $100-110 as I remember it. They're at http://www.pushrods.net if you want to give that a shot.

Also, I have a set of good (3000mile) pushrods that may work. They're Comp I believe, previous owner put them in but I found they were too long. One has a chip on the cup end and would need replaced, but otherwise they're good. I don't know if you want slightly used stuff, but if you're interested and they fit I'd trade them for a Harley shirt. Just a thought.
So Chilly, is it right to assume that the only way I'm going to know what pushrod is right for this combo is to try them and see?

I know the heads were milled down .015 so that would effect the pushrod lenth?

I wonder if it would be a good idea to buy one of those pushrod lenth checker tools they sell?

It could save me some time and trouble if I had one of those tools here.

Oh ya, I can get all sorts of cool Harley shirts anytime!

Send me your address and I'll send you a "Capitol Drive Powertrain" shirt that is a Harley-Davidson shirt only sold to Milwaukee employees in our plant!

I sent Greg Cook some of these last year and he said all the guys around him wanted some too,so I fired off some more for those guys.

I'm planning on bringing up a good deal of Harley shirts to Woodward 2002,when it gets closer I will need all the cruisers from here t-shirts sizes and color preferences.

65 Falcon Sprint Super-Stock Replica
66 Galaxie 500-XL 428 4-speed
91 Mustang GT 5-liter 5-speed
95 F-350 XLT Super-Cab DRW 460- Tow Vehical
"Wanted" Edelbrock F-427 390-428 intake

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DynoTom on 4/4/02 1:23pm ]</font>

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
D.T.
My .02 If I was going to relace rocker arms and shafts I would go with the comp rockers,shafts and end stands they are made by DOVE they have larger shafts and full roller rocker arms. that is the only system that held up for us in racing and I tried them all.
Alan

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
If I was going to relace rocker arms and shafts I would go with the comp rockers,shafts and end stands they are made by DOVE they have larger shafts and full roller rocker arms.
The $900+ Dove/Comp Cams units do NOT have needle bearings, or bearings of any kind. They consist of a bare (unbushed) aluminum rocker riding on a steel shaft. Many believe this is a bad recipe, as the aluminum will tend to 'gall' on the steel shaft. Using the huge diameter stock sized shafts is also a bad thing. To bush the rockers, the aluminum would have to be bored out even further, which would weaken it. None of the big time aftermarket shaft rocker companies (such as Jessel) use shafts that large.

The $600 Ersons are true needle bearing roller rockers. They will stand up to big solid rollers (if need be) and -if- the shafts ever would break, they would be contained by the new design end supports. They are set up to work great on 99% of the non high riser/tunnel port engines out there. If you need something for a Pro-Stocker turning 9000 rpm with around an inch of valve lift, you might spend 3x the money for some type of Jessel outfit. But for the rest of us, you just can't beat them for the price.

Good Luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts