Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a '68 Cougar with a 351W and toploader. It's a streeter, not a racer. The clutch is beginning to get a little soft (I wonder why???) and it may need a flywheel replacement as well. Current replacement flywheels come with a diaphragm clutch bolt patterns. Well, when I was younger, it seems that there were NO problems finding a 164T/11" disc flywheel for a small block. Now, old, worn out units are sold for almost $200 plus shipping and resurfacing, if you can find one. I've seen people switch to a diaphragm clutch, but I have also read that "some bellhousing clearancing may be needed" for this conversion. I'm trying to avoid that if I can and the fewer modifications, the better. Any real world experiences with this conversion?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Is this the right one?

Procomp, though... Sorry I don't have experience with diaphragm clutches.

Pat

·
Registered
68 Posts
Flywheel is a pretty good one. But I would have it balanced to match your old one. Can't be to safe here. The pressure plate shouldn't be any problem either. Diaphragm PP have come a long way since 68. Back in 68 they were for soft smooth operation without a lot of foot pressure and would lock up at center and stay there if used at higher then 5000 rpms. To get anything with good spring pressure you had to get a Long or Borg and Beck style. I had a 429 SCJ 4spd that I used a Scheifer 3200 spring pressure and it was ugly on the stock clutch linkage.
All that being said, the new style used weights to increase pressure at higher rpms and smooth during normal use. Any pressure plate might not fit inside a stock or steel bellhousing. When you get the new one, mount it up, without the trans on and slowly rotate the engine and check for clearance. Ant clearance problems might be with ribs inside the housing and a grinder will solve that.
One last thing, get new grade 8 flywheel bolts along with new grade 8 PP bolts.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found a new, stock replacement through West Coast Cougars that retains the long-style pressure plate pattern. Be here in a couple of days. Already have the ARP flywheel and p/p bolts.

·
Registered
68 Posts
WCC is good people. I've done business with them for my 68 Cougar. I toured them 10 years ago. In western Or E Gone. To wet for me no a days. People don't tan up there they rust. Like cars do. North Western Nevada is my style now. 10% humidity is a wet day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts