Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Someone has modified from original automatic to manual choke using a cable on a a FE engine with original 2100 carb?

Ive mounted headers and there isnt any place to fasten the heat tube. Modifying to manual choke is an alternative

Have started the car 2 times after the headers and and dual exhaust system was installed, but the engine was very difficult to start. Had to push the gas pedal 10-20 times and the engine hesitates a lot from idle to higher RPM. Cold weather, summer petrol and defect choke could be the reason

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
how about electric choke...
i belive there's a kit for the 4100 autolight carb...to do that...

also belive motor should start with out problem even without tube....
but whould be an issue pulling chock off . since its not reciving heat from exhaust manifold.....

maybe im wrong, it woulden't be the first time....:D

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where to bye the correct white plastic piece in the 63 2100 carb? I ordered 2 pieces, but they werent 100% identical to the old one, so it didnt fit. I assume they was for a 4100 or later years

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I have to agree with Raggaren..The electric chokes work awesome and you don't have to worry about a heat source or any cables..

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
R U saying (my Scandinavian is a little rusty) that the 2100 (2V) car you now have has a manual choke (quite common on light truck applications)?

Why does it not function?

There is a fully electric changeover kit available for the 2100/4100.

There were available tube header stove choke kits or you can fashion one yourself. The appearance would not be far from OEM.

Can you supply a photo of the present choke install?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Maybe my english isnt very good

No, the car has automatic original choke which is based on hot air. After I installed headers, it isnt any place to fasten the hot air tube. The hot air tube was fastened on the original manifold.

So I wonder if Im gonna use a cable and have manual choke, or electric, like this: Electric Choke Kit Ford Autolite Holley 4100 Carburetor | eBay

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Maybe my english isnt very good

No, the car has automatic original choke which is based on hot air. After I installed headers, it isnt any place to fasten the hot air tube. The hot air tube was fastened on the original manifold.

So I wonder if Im gonna use a cable and have manual choke, or electric, like this:

Electric Choke Kit Ford Autolite Holley 4100 Carburetor | eBay
If it were me and based on the fact that many parts are hard to come by (and expensive) over there, I would go with the electric conversion. Finding all of the manual changeover parts (incl choke cable and brackets) might prove a chore.

HOLLEY offered at one time an inlet fitting with screen (FILTER) to negate the need for the feed tube. I don't know if it is still offered. It may not be quite enough for your cold ambient air up there as it would only draw underhood temperature and not exhaust manifold temperature.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I choose the manual way, I dont need original parts. I can use f.ex a simple cable like this:

Reguleringsvaier - Biltema

I dont expect you to understand the language, but you see the picture of the cable;)

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Either way. (IMO) (and considering where you are), the manual choke might be a better setup as you will have direct control as to where a full electric choke that you showed will have a very quick opening time resulting in possible drive-ability problems.

I was just saying there were OEM assemblies that would make it look factory correct (research 65 MUST 289HP), but you might have a time getting all of that together where you are.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I had another idea....
dont know if it will work or not....

on the same idea as kultulz was saying....

if thickness of your header flange is simular to mine , you could drill a hole close to exhaust port , in flange then insert choke tube there....??

that should work i think...

or fabricate some type of clip useing header bolt to hold that in place..
setting choke tube on top of header tube...

that way you can retain stock choke....

if that dont work...then manual pull cable choke as you showed in link...
but you will have to fabricate some type of lever and bracket to attach to carb.....
or get a manual coke convertion kit.....
Holley Manual Choke Conversion Kit - JEGS

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I dont think the header flange has the same thickness as yours, but Ill check it. The kit from JEGS can off course be used on an autolite 2100/4100 I asssume.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
No. The HOLLEY kit will be different from the AUTOLITE 2100.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
They were used mainly on sixties pickups 292 and 352 2V.

:eek:

GOD I am old.... :frown:

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
They were used mainly on sixties pickups 292 and 352 2V.

:eek:

GOD I am old.... :frown:
LOL..know what you meen ,,,sixty's dont seem that long ago...
then you count up the years...yip's...:eek:........:D

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
link to kit i posted earlyer would not work unless your very crafty...
very good at modifying stuff...;)
You are correct but I figured him being across the Big Pond and if he ran into trouble he would be stuck.

Those Finns can get pretty nasty at times. Just ask Stalin... :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
You are correct but I figured him being across the Big Pond and if he ran into trouble he would be stuck.

Those Finns can get pretty nasty at times. Just ask Stalin... :eek:
good thing he's norweigan....:D

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.