Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone convert their Falcon to newer style headlights (where the bulb is seperate from the lense). or HID's?

Seems easy for the first part but what parts you use?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you tell me what lenses you used, and where you got them.
Yeah I know the HID's take more power so a relay will help that. But the lenses and what fits best is what I am curious.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
There are kits that replace the sealed beams, dunno if you need the quad type(4 light system), or the singles (2 light system)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Even if you don't replace the lights, a relay will help the brightness. That 50 year old wire doesn't flow as much juice as it used to. Keep the wire run from the relay to the lights as short as possible, and you'll be amazed at the difference.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have used halogen replacement in the 64 Falcon and 67 Ranchero for years with no problem. I love them in the Ranchero (it has quads).
But I just installed them in the 70 Cyclone Spoiler and when all 4 are on I'm breaking the circuit breaker. At this time I don't know if the new lights are the problem or not.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I have used halogen replacement in the 64 Falcon and 67 Ranchero for years with no problem. I love them in the Ranchero (it has quads).
But I just installed them in the 70 Cyclone Spoiler and when all 4 are on I'm breaking the circuit breaker. At this time I don't know if the new lights are the problem or not.

Did you use a kit or just sourced parts? The circuit breaker on the light switch or one that was in kit/sourced?

Can try a larger gauge wire carrying the heavy loads.

If its the light switch breaker I'd suspect the light switch.

MRO

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
I was using cheapo tri bar egay lights with a good quality Bosch bulb, but the lenses kept cracking. Finally went with Nighthawk seal beams. Real nice. I added relays quite some time ago and it's the only way to fly. Full power to lights and no dimming with rpm drop.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
289 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Try the Silverstar H6042st much better than any bulb I have used.

·
Premium Member
5,848 Posts
I got the Hella lights, pretty cool the european design gives a nice line like a modern car. H4 bulbs plugged right in to my harness and the housing fit was great on my galaxie, did not even need to adjust the lights to pass inspection. The 55w pulls about the same watts as stock sealed beam, so relays are pretty useless unless you go with 100w.

Even if your car has quad lights I would just use the H4 bulbs (both hi/lo) and leave the brights alone. First you probably never use them anyways. Second the halogen brights version takes an H-1 bulb, which is not plug n play. You may have to do some metal cutting, use jumpers to get from your wiring to the bulb terminals and even then the wire connector will be hanging out, asking for a short. Plus air will get into the headlight, fogging the lens.

In summary: get the Hellas, H4's only, 55w, no relay. Will take you 30 minutes to do the swap. One day if you want more stuff you can always get it then.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Wire in relays, it's cheap, easy and a lot safer.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I opted to get the HID conversion kit from the folks I mentioned above. Its everything I think. If there is no relays I will add. Should be here by end of week and I will plan it out, the weather went from 80F here to >30F in a week. If it warms up I will tackle it. But should be awesome.

I am debating on adding suplimental lights and using those long range offroad. But I am not sure I want to drill a hole in my bumper.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Anyone convert their Falcon to newer style headlights (where the bulb is seperate from the lense). or HID's?

I am debating on adding suplimental lights and using those long range offroad. But I am not sure I want to drill a hole in my bumper.

Ummmm I dont think I've ever seen Falcon, and the word(s) off-road used in the same thread.....:eek:

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
technically i didnt use it in the same sentence. But I am thinking of adding driving lights, but the ones I am looking at are for long distance vs fog.. I am tired of the idiots with their brights who dont dim them.. so...

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
What ever you do, add the relays especially on anything that came out of Detroit back in the day. I'm talking from experience and some not so good. Driving on a dark road and all of a sudden your lights go out is no fun. I bet Mroldfart can contest to that.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts