Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am attempting to build a motor and need some advice. I will provide all the engine facts and let you guys answer the question...

-68 Date Code 390 FE rebuild in the past and bored .010
-In the rear the oil galleys are plugged, which leads me to believe I have mechanical lifters and solid cam
-It will have full length headers
-Mallory Ignition
-C8AE-H heads ported & polished
-Edelbrock intake
-Holley 750 Carb w/ Vacuum Secondarys
-C6 automatic Transmission
-Stock rear end

I want to purchase an Edelbrock 2106 Hydraulic Cam and Lifter set (found a set for a good deal) and want to know if all I need to do to use this set is remove and replace the current cam and lifters and simply remove the oil galley plugs to allow oil to get to the lifters, or is the process way more difficult then that?

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Hey guys, I am attempting to build a motor and need some advice. I will provide all the engine facts and let you guys answer the question...

-68 Date Code 390 FE rebuild in the past and bored .010
-In the rear the oil galleys are plugged, which leads me to believe I have mechanical lifters and solid cam
-It will have full length headers
-Mallory Ignition
-C8AE-H heads ported & polished
-Edelbrock intake
-Holley 750 Carb w/ Vacuum Secondarys
-C6 automatic Transmission
-Stock rear end

I want to purchase an Edelbrock 2106 Hydraulic Cam and Lifter set (found a set for a good deal) and want to know if all I need to do to use this set is remove and replace the current cam and lifters and simply remove the oil galley plugs to allow oil to get to the lifters, or is the process way more difficult then that?
thats all that you hve to do , swap cam and lifters .

make sure you remove plugs that need removing .

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
First question;

Does the present engine have adjustable rocker arms?

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
First question;

Does the present engine have adjustable rocker arms?
good 1st question
2nd question would be ... all rockers have a set clearance lash .

really no need for that info , for the OP wants a hyd. cam/lifters

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
You should tell me. You never have to ask a question :)
give one good reason that entitles you to info from me .
yes I have asked a FEW questions for info for myself . would be for modified EFI systems . not oem.

you said the right ones . no answer from you when asked what they might be...... means your clueless , just made a post to make like you know something

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Dan,

Are you retaining water also? Must be a plague type thing here.

The presence of adjustable rockers would be the first indication if there was a solid tappet cam installed. And if there was not, oil supply restrictions to the rocker arm assemblies would be in order.

Why not participate rather than making every post a confrontation :confused:

·
Registered
691 Posts
give one good reason that entitles you to info from me .
yes I have asked a FEW questions for info for myself . would be for modified EFI systems . not oem.

you said the right ones . no answer from you when asked what they might be...... means your clueless , just made a post to make like you know something
One good reason? How about to finish the posting you made... You said remove the plugs... which ones? the OP was asking the question and you didn't answer them... What happens if you leave galley plugs out?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Dan,

The presence of adjustable rockers would be the first indication if there was a solid tappet cam installed. And if there was not, oil supply restrictions to the rocker arm assemblies would be in order.

I was going to ask the same thing but got side tracked :D . The FE's are easy to tell as the hyd rocker units are one cast piece, and the solid one's have screw in adjusters over the push rods. I was wondering if the OP even had the rocker arms however...

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Dan,

going back to your old self ?

change the pad and pull up your panties

good first question was what ? what did I post for that... nothing

2nd check would be ? did I post check for lash ? why would that be asked .... adj/rockers can used on any type of lifter .

who's what now ? could it be the klutz .

·
Premium Member
3,934 Posts
Just because you have pipe plugs in the valley does not mean you have plugged feeds.

You need to remove the rear upper pipe plugs and see if there is a second plug underneath them

However, a picture of your rockers could determine very quickly, non adjustable rockers = hyd cam

Adj rockers, could be either and we have to go deeper.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
easy check:
Adjustable rocker arms?
if no, you have a hydraulic cam, if yes, check lash.... if none the lifters are hydraulic. There should be no clearance if the lifters are hydraulic and have a preload on them.
If solid you should have some gap.
You can also force down the rocker arm/pushrod into the lifter if hydraulic.

When you swap to a hydraulic cam I would keep the adjustable rocker arms as it is easier to set preload. Also make sure to recheck pushrod length and clearances in the intake holes.

good luck,
Dp

1 - 19 of 19 Posts