Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I would like to convert my 65 Ford alternator to a late model self exciting GM style Alt. I remember reading about a conversion of this type in a magazine. Would any of you happen to remember this, or have experience with it? I would like to know the alt./vehicle to use. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I did this 9 years ago, after cooking 2 Ford Alts. One of my Chevy friends had a spare laying around from a 70's Chevelle. I needed to modify the spacer between the Alt. & block (had to go shorter if I remember right), and do some rewiring. Car hasnt run in 7 years, so thats about all I can remember.

Jimmy
69 Mustang (BIG Project)
95 Vette - low 12's in style.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'm not sure which alternator to use for a GM conversion. But here's another alternative.

Convert your existing alternator to a one wire setup. I did this on my 69 Mustang and it works great. Cheap ($30) and got rid of a mess of 30+ yr old wiring. I just unplugged the original regulator and then traced it's wires back to the main harness and cut them. When taped off you can't rell they were there.

This is the conversion that I used:
http://www.falconparts.com/One%20Wire%20Alternator.htm

Later,

David Cole

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the fast replys! I also like the link to the Falcon thing. That sounds better than the Chevro option!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts